• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The did you know of 2008 - 3.0

Reaction score
So I was sitting in a meeting a few weeks ago with a room full of executives going over the years productivity, and there was a striking video that was presented.

Apparently it was presented at some kind of Sony Meeting....

Either way, check it out, Bet you didn't know the world was so huge!!!

Click here to watch!

Enjoy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Wow, that really is an amazing video. Some very interesting information there put together to look very graphically appealing. Thanks for sharing :D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The folks I work for used part of that in a presentation for new technologies they put together. Some of it is interesting and some of it seems a bit dubious to me. It's so easy to make up figures like that and no one ever checks them out, part of the danger of living in the information age. So much information it's hard to know what is true and what is not. The younger a person is, the more likely they are to simply believe whatever the internet tells them it seems.

OP
M
Reaction score
The folks I work for used part of that in a presentation for new technologies they put together. Some of it is interesting and some of it seems a bit dubious to me. It's so easy to make up figures like that and no one ever checks them out, part of the danger of living in the information age. So much information it's hard to know what is true and what is not. The younger a person is, the more likely they are to simply believe whatever the internet tells them it seems.

There is some truth to that, although I'm sure that there is a lot of truth to the stats. Friends I know who are in university right now (majority are in 3rd year +) are in fact learning skills and are training for technology that doesn't exist yet, and a lot of the things that they HAVE learned in their first or second year are now essentially obsolete.

Although some of the things that people and the internet comes up with are certain to be inaccurate, I'm convinced that the amount of information in the world is greater than we could imagine!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is some truth to that, although I'm sure that there is a lot of truth to the stats. Friends I know who are in university right now (majority are in 3rd year +) are in fact learning skills and are training for technology that doesn't exist yet, and a lot of the things that they HAVE learned in their first or second year are now essentially obsolete.

Although some of the things that people and the internet comes up with are certain to be inaccurate, I'm convinced that the amount of information in the world is greater than we could imagine!!!

I don't dispute that they are learning things for jobs and problems that don't exist yet, but that is nothing new. The video leads you to believe that it is something new, but it has always gone on, we are simply more aware of it now.

The amount of available information is probably greater than the video implied, the accuracy and/or usefulness of that information is what is in question. More is not always better and if people are not willing to research the accuracy of information on their own, then fiction becomes fact very fast. In the end, too much information can be just as bad, if not worse, than no information at all.

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't dispute that they are learning things for jobs and problems that don't exist yet, but that is nothing new. The video leads you to believe that it is something new, but it has always gone on, we are simply more aware of it now.

The amount of available information is probably greater than the video implied, the accuracy and/or usefulness of that information is what is in question. More is not always better and if people are not willing to research the accuracy of information on their own, then fiction becomes fact very fast. In the end, too much information can be just as bad, if not worse, than no information at all.

I think I understand your point a little better now. I'm a firm believer that wikipedia is the worst reference tool on the planet - lol

I can't believe the technology world though - If I didn't live in Waterloo, Home of RIM and the University of Waterloo, I would never believe the technical side of the statistics. I have some friends in several different types of engineering programs who are working on the development behind the technology that goes into the Blackberry, and its astonishing to see the development as to how the information is relayed, shared, and accessed. Simply unbelievable.

But i still agree with you. hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have some friends in several different types of engineering programs who are working on the development behind the technology that goes into the Blackberry, and its astonishing to see the development as to how the information is relayed, shared, and accessed. Simply unbelievable.

It's even more interesting when you consider that it is likely that none of this technology really even existed, outside of the imagination, when they went to school and earned their degrees. The degree gets your foot in the door, your ability to "push the envelope" is what brings new technology to the forefront. This is happening now at an astonishing rate even when compared to 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. We are, in fact, living in the greatest period of human technological advancement in history, greater even than that of the Greeks, Romans, Chinese or the Renaissance.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's even more interesting when you consider that it is likely that none of this technology really even existed, outside of the imagination, when they went to school and earned their degrees. The degree gets your foot in the door, your ability to "push the envelope" is what brings new technology to the forefront. This is happening now at an astonishing rate even when compared to 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. We are, in fact, living in the greatest period of human technological advancement in history, greater even than that of the Greeks, Romans, Chinese or the Renaissance.

Truth.

Kudos to you.

Reaction score

It was an amazing video but I have to agree with Baggss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I agree about the quality vs. quantity of information. Look at all the useless information being generated on site like Youtube, Myspace and Facebook. There is a lot of good information, but it is greatly outweighed by the amount of bad and useless "information".

I disagree about Wikipeida being the worst reference tool on the planet. Yes, the site itself isn't reliable, but many article include reference links to places where information is reliable. I like to think of Wikipedia as more of a culmination of references with summaries that you have to take with a grain of salt. Of course, it's not 100%. I just looked up the phrase "taken with a grain of salt" to find it's source, but the article didn't have any references or sources.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Ah that video is the old adage. It's not what you say but how you say it that generates all the impact. I wouldn't say everything on that video is a lie. More a generalisation based on current trends. But can be made to look like hard facts if spun the right way.

Makes me think a post apocalypse world is on it's way just like in Terminator 1 and 2. Except it's not 1997 like the movie, I think it'll be in 2097.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ah that video is the old adage. It's not what you say but how you say it that generates all the impact. I wouldn't say everything on that video is a lie. More a generalisation based on current trends. But can be made to look like hard facts if spun the right way.

Makes me think a post apocalypse world is on it's way just like in Terminator 1 and 2. Except it's not 1997 like the movie, I think it'll be in 2097.

I disagree sir.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.