Safari deleting cookies after 10.5.6 upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
Ever since I did the 10.5.6 upgrade to Leopard, at some point during approximately every 2nd or 3rd Internet browsing session, Safari suddenly deletes all of my cookies, and I have to re-login to every website I have a user account on, even websites I'd just been logged into a few minutes earlier. I haven't been able to pick up a pattern of this occurring after I visit a certain website or anything.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior, or is it just me? (If it happens again I think I'm going to have to switch back to using Firefox.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have seen something similar reported by one other user about a week ago. His log-ins are lasting for 1-3 days before he'll have to log back in again though.

He's already tried resetting Safari, deleting the plist file and removing the plug-ins he was using. Have not found a fix yet. And his cookies were still there, just not being recognized it looks like. He's even tried replacing the plist file with one from 10.5.5.

Have one other user reporting something similar on 10.5.4 and above.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It just happened to me yet again, so I went ahead and submitted a bug report through the Safari "Report Bugs to Apple..." menu item. In the meantime, it looks like Firefox will be getting some use again, at least for now.

Reaction score
Yesterday while browsing, I received a notice from Apple that there is an update. Included in this update is a Safari update. I haven't installed it yet, but it is 32 MB. Curious if this would fix the problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked Software Update, and apparently I'm still up to date. Bummer ... I got my hopes up there for a second.

On another note, how did you happen to get a notice from Apple while browsing? Do you mean that Safari popped up a window to that effect? That sounds a little suspicious, actually.

Reaction score
Poor wording on my part. It was an update from Apple that just so happened while I was browsing. It wasn't an update from Safari. And I'm running 10.6.

The Apple update states:

Keynote Update 4.0.3
Digital Camera Raw Compatibility 2.4
Safari 3.2.1

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Safari 3.2.1 is what I received as part of the Leopard 10.5.6 update. It was right after getting 3.2.1 that I started having problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
i was having the same mysterious cookie-deleting thing too.. for the longest time I couldn't figure out what I did to make Safari hate me so much as to retype my passwords that I can't remember over and over again...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i was having the same mysterious cookie-deleting thing too.. for the longest time I couldn't figure out what I did to make Safari hate me so much as to retype my passwords that I can't remember over and over again...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

I know the feeling. Two questions for you:

1. When did you Safari cookie problems begin?
  2. Did you send a bug report to Apple about it yet? (If not, I hope you will do so, so Apple sees that more than just a few people are experiencing the same problem.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
I know the feeling. Two questions for you:

1. When did you Safari cookie problems begin?
  2. Did you send a bug report to Apple about it yet? (If not, I hope you will do so, so Apple sees that more than just a few people are experiencing the same problem.)

it began... nearly a month ago, maybe? At the time I had no idea what had happen, but as soon as I read this thread I remembered it was right after the update.

nope, no report to apple.. the only time I report is when apps crash.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Has anyone tried setting up another user account to browse from to find out if it is system wide or only in your user account?

And no plugins.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still no report as to whether ya'll have this issue system wide or on a user basis?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is that, since the problem occurs only sporadically, a person would have to make a new account and then use it on a regular basis for a while to see if the problem does or doesn't occur. For me, I just have too much to do at the same time that I'm browsing to put that much time and effort into debugging Safari ... I'm not about to move all of my Xcode projects to a new user account, for example. Frankly, when the same thing happened to me again the next day after my last post, I switched back to Firefox. Maybe I'll try Safari again if Apple releases a patch that updates the program, but for now I've put it on the shelf as non-functional.

Reaction score
Me too!!
Tried all the same things as OP with no luck.
Very frustrating, no word from Apple on this?

Reaction score
safari not recognizing cookies

I just began having this problem staying logged in to sites within the last couple weeks. I've tried restoring safari and relogging into websites but while the cookies are listed in the window they are not being recognized. I'm only staying logged in to sites for 60-120 sec at the maximum and is happening for all websites requiring login.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You aren't alone, that's for sure. I still try Safari every few days, almost always just on a wiki on my local network, and most times I have to login afresh, so the problem certainly continues to happen to me as well. I'd be incredibly frustrated if it wasn't for Firefox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.