iPod has a problem :( (HELP!!)

Reaction score
Okay so i recently got an iPod touch 2g for Christmas and i love it so far. But when i try to plug it in on my computer nothing shows up except iPhoto opens up. I'm so confused, someone please help. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
I have heard this problem before, and it is because the computer recognizes the iPod as a camera, not an iPod. However, I am not sure how to fix it. I'll try and find the place I read about it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Open iPhoto and tell it to not open automatically when a camera is plugged in. Even though the touch is not a camera, iPhoto is confused. The iPod should only show up in iTunes, I don't think they show up on the desktop, but I could be wrong.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of iTunes do you have installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of iTunes do you have installed?

I'm assuming he has the latest. I bought my oldest a Gen 2 iPod Touch for Xmas and as soon as she plugged it in it told her she had to upgrade iTunes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm assuming he has the latest. I bought my oldest a Gen 2 iPod Touch for Xmas and as soon as she plugged it in it told her she had to upgrade iTunes.

Reason I asked it in every thread I have searched with people having this issue the fix usually was update iTunes.

And that would be sad if the Touch does not show up on the desktop. Every other normal iPod does. I will ask a friend and see if his shows up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And that would be sad if the Touch does not show up on the desktop. Every other normal iPod does. I will ask a friend and see if his shows up.

I know the iPhone doesn't. I didn't look and see if my oldest iPod Touch did. She'll be back here later today, I'll look and see.

OP
I
Reaction score
Yup i think thats my problem, cause i have my own PowerBook G4, and i tried downloading iTunes 8 and it said i cant download it because of my running system has to be upgraded, so does anyone have a version of iTunes that i can download that will work with my iPod, I am getting my computer worked on so i can upgrade everything very soon but I am going snowboarding Monday and i would like be able to use the music i have in my iTunes right now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I know iTunes 8 supports OSX 10.4 since that is what my oldest is running on her iBook. Unfortunately, iTunes 8 is required for your iPod to work, sorry.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed with Baggss, I have iTunes 8 on a couple of my older Macs with 10.4.11 Tiger. Be sure if you have Tiger you run the updater and get it up to 10.4.11 with all the other updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
ipod touch 2g doesn't show up in the finder or on the desktop. Only in iTunes. I expect the 1st gen is the same, not sure though.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yep, it's the same. Touches can not do disk mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
So, it was the version of iTunes he was running? Darn it. I searched the vast internet and found this and many other answers for nothing! I guess if anyone else asks, I can help them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
i have a problem with my brand new iPod Touch, 32 GB....

I got home, took it out of my car, and tried turning it off, nothing happened, so i pressed the power button again. now the screen is completely white, and i can't figure out how to turn it off or anything. i'm guessing i'll have to just wait for the battery to die and try again?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may want to plug it into your Mac/ iTunes and restore it.

OP
I
Reaction score

I got home, took it out of my car, and tried turning it off, nothing happened, so i pressed the power button again. now the screen is completely white, and i can't figure out how to turn it off or anything. i'm guessing i'll have to just wait for the battery to die and try again?

Thanks.
Don't hijack my thread please, make your own. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 1.42ghz 1gb ram Mac os x 10.5.6

Thanks.

try reseting it hold home and sleep/wake for 10 secs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.