NTFS External HDD & my iBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey,

Just a quick question.

I purchased an 80GB HDD and upgraded my external HDD (used to have a 30GB in). I formatted the 80GB as NTFS but later realised i want to make the drive cross platform, im just wondering if my iBook (iBook G4 less than 6 months old) will be able to "see" the HDD in NTFS format? Im not sure but i read somewhere that MAC's can only see FAT formatted drives?

If this is the case is there any way i can format the HDD on my iBook so that i can use it on both my Windows machine and my iBook.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Chris. :teen:

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
OK, i have since learned that MAC can READ NTFS but cannot write to it. This is a problem :(

Can anyone suggest a way i could format the HDD using my iBook that would make it readable on both my PC and MAC systems? Or am i gonna have to revert back to my windows 98 Floppy disk and good old DOS?

Kind Regards,

Chris. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
format as fat32, pc and mac can read and write it.

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Macman said:
format as fat32, pc and mac can read and write it.

The thing is how though, Windows XP has a limit where it will not format a deive that is over 30GB as FAT32.

Is thereany way to format it as FAT32 on the MAC? Or is it best to use windows 98 boot disk and DOS?

P

pavlaki62

MrChris said:
The thing is how though, Windows XP has a limit where it will not format a deive that is over 30GB as FAT32.

Is thereany way to format it as FAT32 on the MAC? Or is it best to use windows 98 boot disk and DOS?

Hi *

You can use PowerQuest PartitionMagic to partition large drives. BUT, when using FAT32 the maximum file size is 2GB - I fell foul of this when I was trying to create a .dmg on my external firewire drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Simply hook up your drive and then open disk utility. (apps->utilities->disk utility)

Then select the drive and hit erase at the top. As volume format select MS DOS.

Reaction score
MrChris said:

I have never had that problem.

Reaction score
MacDrive 6

Get MacDrive 6. Allows windows to mount and use apple formated disks of any kind, floppies, cd-roms, hd's, etc.

ed724

R

ryanyogan

XP does not limit you to 30 gigs, I build pc's on the side and I use an OEM version of XP Pro on every computer I build. Although I always use NTFS, I have used FAT32 for people that are either sharing with win 98 for some reason or another I can't remember why. FAT was regulated to like 16 or 32 gigs with "large disk support" but fat 32 has no limit, and shouldn't it is nothing other than a format. If you have no luck with the XP install cd, boot to dos from the cd and type "fdisk" at command prompt, from there partition away. Or just do as told with the mac, connect the drive, erase it, and format as MSDOS

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
ryanyogan said:
XP does not limit you to 30 gigs, I build pc's on the side and I use an OEM version of XP Pro on every computer I build. Although I always use NTFS, I have used FAT32 for people that are either sharing with win 98 for some reason or another I can't remember why. FAT was regulated to like 16 or 32 gigs with "large disk support" but fat 32 has no limit, and shouldn't it is nothing other than a format. If you have no luck with the XP install cd, boot to dos from the cd and type "fdisk" at command prompt, from there partition away. Or just do as told with the mac, connect the drive, erase it, and format as MSDOS

Sorry, i meant 32GB, you cannot create a FAT 32 Partition in windows XP larger than 32GB in size. As it says here on the Microsoft Site:

"Windows 2000 and Windows XP Professional can format FAT32 volumes up to 32 GB only."

Soure: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_cycz.asp

P.S. I also build computers ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Okay - but just because windows can't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done right?

I'd try the DOS route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.