Stacks and the dock

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a couple of questions about using the dock in 10.5, especially the stacks feature.

1) The "downloads" stack: The problem I am having is that when a new item I've downloaded gets added to my downloads folder, it doesnt show up in my downloads stack. I have to manually click the stack, then click "98 [ex.] more in Finder" and then find the item in there. This handicap removes any real point of having a stack feature in the first place.

On a related annoyance, is there no way in the Finder to organized files from "most recent" to "least recent" - because "date modified" is not used for this function at all. You'd think Mac OS would be able to recognize that the folder I am browsing is called "downloads" and it would have the sense to show me items that I most recently downloaded.

2) Changing the stacks icon: how does my mac assign the icon of the stack. Is it the most recently added item that gets designated? Is there a way to set a permanent icon?

:Confused:

Reaction score
Try right clicking the icon and sorting by date, there are many options to choose from.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. Right click and select sort by Date Added. Then your newest download will always be at the top of the grid.

2. Right click and select Display as Folder. If you keep Display as set to Stack it displays the first item in that folder based on alphabetical order.

on the side note - while in Finder:
List View is alphabetical
Switch to Icon View - you'll then have the option to select Arrange By 'Date modifed' and quite a few other selections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
To display more items, try right clicking on the stack and selecting View content as grid or list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.