How to remove a word from the Mac dictionary

Reaction score
Before you ask...NOT the custom dictionary...it doesn't contain the words I'm having trouble with.

How can I remove "incorrect" words from the basic Mac Dictionary? E.g. when I type the word "internet" anywhere in an application, browser, Google, etc. it auto-corrects to "Internet" (capitalized). The word "internet" doesn't need to be capitalized.

Same thing when I type "website"...it auto-corrects to "Web site" which is really dumb. Neither of these are in my custom dictionary, so where the heck are they and how can I remove them? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'd suggest that instead of trying to remove a word, you train the dictionary to recognise the words with lower-case initial consonants or vowels. When the word becomes underlined as a spelling error, R-click it and choose Add to Dictionary from the pop-up menu. A similar irritating event occurs with US vs British spelling (eg. realize vs realise).

The OS dictionary will be in one of the Libraries. There's one for example in User > Library > Spelling and there's another in MacHD > Library > Dictionary. How you open either of those is up to you. I wouldn't mess with them.

OP
L
Reaction score
Already tried...can't. When I type in the correct spelling in the Spelling Window it changes there, too...not letting me type in the correct spelling so I can click on LEARN.

OP
L
Reaction score
Let me rephrase...on my computer it doesn't need to be capitalized. I suppose it is also OK to be typing along and use "website" or "web site" in a sentence and have the computer change it to "Web site"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
on my computer it doesn't need to be capitalized. I suppose it is also OK to be typing along and use "website" or "web site" in a sentence and have the computer change it to "Web site"?

I'm with you on the irritating and quirky nature of spell checkers. I'm puzzled however by your response that you can't use the pop-up menu and then R-click on the errant word in order to 'learn' or 'add' the word. What application are/were you using? For example, in this (FFox) the function is available, in Eudora (email), TextEdit, Word, the same. Perhaps you need to use Ctrl>L-click.

And thanks to DTravis for the TextWrangler link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
E.g. when I type the word "internet" anywhere in an application, browser, Google, etc. it auto-corrects to "Internet" (capitalized). The word "internet" doesn't need to be capitalized.

For what it's worth, Internet is supposed to be capitalized. It's a proper noun. It's referred to as "the Internet", unlike "an intranet" (one of many) which is an inproper noun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
For what it's worth, Internet is supposed to be capitalized. It's a proper noun. It's referred to as "the Internet", unlike "an intranet" (one of many) which is an inproper noun.
But you can have interconnected intranets, making them an internet, without it being THE Internet

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.