Self-Assigned IP

Reaction score
I tried to connect to the Internet via Airport but i found this :

SelfAssignedIP.jpg

I've tried many solutions from the Internet such as :
- Delete the Airport Preferences file in the Library >>> doesn't work
- Boot to Safe Mode then restart >>> doesn't work

Seems the solution from the Internet is the solution for the Keychain Update Bug whereas i didn't update my Keychain....

I'm using Ethernet right now and it's work...

FYI I'm using MB, OS 10.5.2

Hope you can help me....

Thanks before...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Modern operating systems will assign what is known as an "Automatically Assigned Private IP Address" when they can't get one from a DHCP server.

The most common cause for this on a wireless network is that the access point is secured and the computer is not authorized to connect. What kind of security is your wireless access point using?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hit the 'Advanced' button

Then to the 'TCP/IP' tab

Change the 'Configure IPv4:' box to 'Using DHCP'

CW, raises a good question - do you have a wireless network set up on "your" router.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, moved to the appropriate forum, nothing to do with "Apple Rumors & Reports".

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks, it works, now i can connect to the router and play internet comfortly........

Thanks.....

Reaction score
Hi, had a similar problem and thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one. Tried resetting to "Using DHCP", but this didn't help. Also when I go into the Airport Setup Utility and try to configure the base station I get an error message that reads, "An error occurred while reading the configuration. Make sure your Apple wireless device is plugged in and in range of your computer or connected via Ethernet and try again. (-5)." The weird thing is that I'm getting a full strength signal and I'm also plugged in via ethernet. When I unplug the ethernet cable, I can't connect to the internet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try going back to basics - connect computer to base station and disconnect from Internet then run Airport Utility and make sure all airport settings are correct for your set up. Then disconnect ethernet connect internet and attempt the wireless scene. If you still get error when trying to get into base station settings it might be time for a Base Station reset and start over again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.