Possible convert to Mac from PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None yet
Hello to all,

I am new to the formum so I say Hello. I also have a question or two. I currently have an old AMD 1800 PC that is still running, just is out of date and I am trying to decide which new system I want to build or buy. I hadn't thought of getting a Mac until reading about how the Mac was a little better than a windows based system at playing digital music. So here I am asking all of you your thoughts on switching over to a Mac.

My wife does not want to. She stated that she doesn't know how a Mac operates and so she doesn't think she would like it. I am more open minded about it and would like to hear from those that did switch from Windows to Mac.

What do I like to do with a computer. Probably the same as the majority of PC users. Nothing special. I do want to get more into using quality components to make my digital music listening more enjoyable than the current system I have now (old creative blaster sound card and speakers). The rest of our PC use is left to browsing, photo editing and making music cds. As for games, I like FPSs and some of those cheap egames you get for $10 at WMart.

Anyway, I was hoping for some insight as to your thoughts on making the switch. Is Mac really worth the extra $1K??? That seems to be my only issue with switching is trying to justify the price vs the price of a windows PC which would cost me around $1600 to build but the Mac Pro is going for $2400-$2700. Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
You can build a mac for under 800 with good specs. You can also run windows on a mac so your wife wouldn't have to switch if she didn't want to. They even say Vista runs better on a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you are coming from a build your own windows background, the mac pro may seem like a logical choice, but is the most expensive option, targeted at business users with a price to match

For home use the iMac would be a better option

iMac - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I guess refueler which is more important ~ domestic harmony or using a Mac? A grand is not worth having domestic unrest for imho.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I see where Harry is coming from on this issue! :D

Your wife may LOVE the Mac but I would not take a chance she will dislike OSX and cause a rift in your marriage over an OS and Computer!

Why the Mac Pro? Because of it's Digital Audio Outs? The iMac has a TosLink Digital out and would serve you well if you do decide to go with a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
The Mac Pro is complete overkill for the average user. Like lighting a candle with a flamethrower. The iMac or MB would probably suit your needs perfectly, and are in a much more palatable price range. I can't remember anyone ever posting a thread here that said, "I regret buying the iMac and wish I had spent the extra on the Mac Pro".

Also, keep in mind that there isn't really any risk in trying a new OS. You can install Windows on a Mac just like any other PC. If you hate OS X, you can reformat the HD and install Windows. Apple provides all the appropriate drivers to run Windows as well as it will run on any other PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Yes, More people buy a mac pro and then ebay it because it waaaay too much for them to even bother with. I have a mac pro at work that I USE, but I couldn't imagine anything other than my 24" iMac at home. Stunning to work with and regardless of what your wife says now......in 5 minutes she would be over your shoulder loving OSX and wanting to know more. Just tell her its so easy a Caveman could do it ;)

Is it worth the extra money. Yes. Is it nice not having to think about a virus. Yes. Is it nice to not have to fight with your computer. Yes. Is it nice to have a computer that is actually usable for 6-8 years. Yes. If you have been on a windows box all your life, may God smite you if you don't even go PLAY on a mac to try it :p

EDIT: if you check my sig below you'll se that I sport an 800 mhz powermac laptop. I mean, I whip out this 8 year old laptop at a meeting and no-one even thinks about it as it's totally usable. lol I just love that for some reason. Try that with an IBM thinkpad or the like. Yea right :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None yet
NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Sorry, didn't know where to accurately post this. But, may I suggest a catagory for newbies to ask questions in general, if not where does one ask such questions?? Since I scanned through the catagory headings and could not recognize where to place this post I logically picked the catagory with the most posts.....

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None yet
Yes, More people buy a mac pro and then ebay it because it waaaay too much for them to even bother with. I have a mac pro at work that I USE, but I couldn't imagine anything other than my 24" iMac at home. Stunning to work with and regardless of what your wife says now......in 5 minutes she would be over your shoulder loving OSX and wanting to know more. Just tell her its so easy a Caveman could do it ;)

Is it worth the extra money. Yes. Is it nice not having to think about a virus. Yes. Is it nice to not have to fight with your computer. Yes. Is it nice to have a computer that is actually usable for 6-8 years. Yes. If you have been on a windows box all your life, may God smite you if you don't even go PLAY on a mac to try it :p

EDIT: if you check my sig below you'll se that I sport an 800 mhz powermac laptop. I mean, I whip out this 8 year old laptop at a meeting and no-one even thinks about it as it's totally usable. lol I just love that for some reason. Try that with an IBM thinkpad or the like. Yea right :)

Thanks for the reply, I am going to try and find an Apple store here in Indianapolis and do some touchy feely. As for Windows, I am getting freakin tired of Norton Anti Virus always having to update daily and then telling me it had to remove 2 or 4 threats after it runs a scan, TWICE a day!

Guess I can look into an iMac instead of a Mac Pro. Stupid question but I take it that everything inside the iMac is just like a Windows PC and you can upgrade any component say the soundcard and video card? Was looking at maybe a low end Mac and buying some Ram and a better video card? The other thing is programs for music and photos. How do they compare to Windows programs?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, the iMac is self contained and only the RAM can be user upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I would check out iMacs next to a comparable windows machine. Keep in mind you can run windows very easily on macs these days. As for your wife she shouldnt have too much trouble learning the OS. If she does you can set up a partition in boot camp so she can run XP or Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
Hi! I have just gotten my New Macbook Aluminum today and have been using it for the last 10 hours. And I have to say it been a really great experience. I have been a PC user all my life with spending a small amount of time on Macs. But I went with the Mac and so far I am glad I did. The OS is really nice and easy to use. Everything is "handed to you" in my opinion. It makes doing things a lot easier. The Macbook I have seems so much faster than a PC. I have a friend with a gaming computer that he has put 2x the money I have paid for this Macbook and it still seems like mine is faster than his. Overall I think you will like the Mac, being that I also used to be a PC user. Hope this helped you out!

Ps: I would say the extra money is worth it due to all the software and great support that apple takes in their products. Which in the long run can make a world of difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Get the iMac, either the 20" or the 24" and believe me she will learn to love it after awhile. The iMac I have is my first Mac computer for almost a year now and it's so much easier and simpler to work with than my windows computers which I don't even use anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
No, the iMac is self contained and only the RAM can be user upgraded.

I thought you could swap out the hard drive too.

As for the graphics, that is a not upgradable item.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
refueler1, as mentioned, your needs don't seem to justify a Mac Pro.

Rumors are that Apple is going to update the iMac soon. Perhaps Jan 5th at Macworld. Waiting for that upgrade gives you two advantages. A newer machine would have better specs than the current one, so you get more for your money. You could buy the current one at a discount price after the new one is released. Also keep in mind Apple sells refurbs at their online store.

I have one concern regarding the new iMac to come. It may drop firewire. That might be important to you if you want to use an external audio device. The sound guys swear at such USB devices and say firewire is the way to go.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I thought you could swap out the hard drive too.

As for the graphics, that is a not upgradable item.

Yup, the hard drive can be replaced, but it's not considered a user-serviceable part. Now, there is some speculation that such an upgrade can be done without invalidating the warranty, but only if the upgrade does not result in damage to other parts of the system.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a service manual here on the newer iMacs and unless they changed something with the Black backed Aluminum iMacs, you need a special tool to even get the case off and all kinds of very easy to mess up shielding. This is on the White iMacs so not sure on the latest ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.