Macbook Pro (Newest Style) Won't boot to Leopard DVD

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just got my new christmas present, the New Macbook Pro (With dual video cards). I want to re-install Leopard on a larger HDD, but my 'book will not boot to the DVD. It is used, with no apple care. I have tried Holding c/Cmd-c. I reset the PRAM and SMC. I've read as much as I can but nothing will work. The leopard DVD I have is the "generic" install from my Macbook(Black 2.0). Is there a new DVD or something I'm missing? The Leopard Disk works, I just used it to reformat my Macbook and no problems whatsoever.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Justin

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The disk that shipped with your Macbook will not install on the MBP. It is system specific. Should have obtained the disks that came with the MBP. If not, you can call Apple for a replacement set (have read that they're about $30) or you can buy a retail copy of Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Hey guys! I just got my new christmas present, the New Macbook Pro (With dual video cards). I want to re-install Leopard on a larger HDD, but my 'book will not boot to the DVD. It is used, with no apple care. I have tried Holding c/Cmd-c. I reset the PRAM and SMC. I've read as much as I can but nothing will work. The leopard DVD I have is the "generic" install from my Macbook(Black 2.0). Is there a new DVD or something I'm missing? The Leopard Disk works, I just used it to reformat my Macbook and no problems whatsoever.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Justin
That "used" Mac can be no older than 4 months or so. How can you not have the DVD? As the other poster said, you can order the DVD. Or, you can install the new drive as external, and use superduper to clone.

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest, i'm not entirely sure. My parents got it for me, and they told me it was used. My dad is friends with a guy from Apple, so i'm not sure. I'm trying to obtain a new Leopard install disk now. It's not as though I got a box or anything with it. Is there maybe something that I could have done to it?

-J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think you will just have to be patient and wait for the replacement disks, tho your dads friend may be able to source some restore disks

OP
N
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately. I wish there was an Apple Leopard (replacement) download available.

Thanks Guys
-J

OP
N
Reaction score
Okay, I went and bought a NEW Leopard Install DVD. 10.4 That doesn't work either. I acutally have my drive installed in a friends' Macbook to update it to 10.5.6... I'm going to call apple care in the AM. for replacement disks.

Thanks
J

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
10.4 is Tiger and not Leopard. When you do get the proper DVD that goes with that machine, you hold C not Command+C right after the startup sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Even a retail Leopard install disc OSX 10.5. may not work if the Mac came with OSX 10.5.2. or newer installed as mine did. The OS discs need to be newer than the system the Mac came with. You can't go backwards.

The Mac's own discs are preferable and you get iLife included too.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well, I called Apple, and they wern't very helpful. Who can blame them, The Mac isn't in my name, so they won't send me the discs. It needs 10.5.5 or newer. 10.5.4 will not work. I bought 10.5.4 new, and it doesn't work. :( I'm going to try and contact the previous owner, but he moved away because of family issues. I wish it was easier...

Thanks Guys!
-Jus'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.