Help fixing a slow Macbook.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to fix someone's 2~3 year old Macbook (OS X 10.4), but I don't know much about OS X... the problem basically is that it's extremely slow, even after I installed Onyx and ran pretty much all the scripts/optimizations, and repairing permissions. It has 1 GB of RAM, and the harddrive is only around half full (though it was nearly 100% full a few months ago--most was backed up and moved out, nothing important would be lost in case of failure). Microsoft Office for OS X was installed recently, but I think the slowdown happened just recently.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
Do you have iStat Pro installed (it's a widget). take a look to see what the RAM levels are. Ram for that MacBook are quite cheap now and would help tremendously. Also, try to run XSlimmer, it'll help slim the programs installed on. If you HD is 50% full, you just ran Onyx, and did a clean install of OSX then the Ram is the only thing left. Good luck!

OP
A
Reaction score
Assuming iStat Pro would show up in Spotlight, then no, it isn't installed.

Memory usage (idle, except for software update and a few other background programs): Wired, ~213MB; Active, ~531MB; Inactive, ~267MB; Used, ~1013MB; Free (does this refer to real or virtual memory?), ~11MB.

Memory usage (with iPhoto, iTunes, Garage Band, iCal, Comic Life, and iMovie open): Wired, ~233MB; Active, ~515MB; Inactive, ~260; Used, 1012MB; Free, ~12MB.

Memory usage went down with more programs open...? Virtual memory looks clogged, though.

Working on Xslimmer, but it's just the demo, so I don't know how much of an impact 50MB "slimmed" will have on performance.

EDIT: By the way, I should have said before, internet is slow too, but it isn't the network, since it's just this computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Aluminum, 4gb DDR3 Ram, 250 GB Hard Drive
wow only 11 mb free of ram

right now im at 3.02gb of free ram

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.