screensaver keyboard shortcut

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
I was wondering if there was anyway i could set up a keyboard shortcut to start the screensaver or lock the computer to prevent people from using it when i leave and i want to stay logged in. I searched around the forums a little bit but wasn't able to find anything. Thanks, John

Reaction score
Go to macupdate.com and search for Butler. I use shift-F4 to start screensaver. Does lots of other things too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Not a keyboard shortcut, but this would work…

Go to System Preferences/Security
and turn on "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver"

Go to System Preferences/Screen Saver
and set a "Hot Corner" to start screen saver.

When you leave your computer, move the mouse pointer to the hot corner and your secure.

OP
avcabob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
Thanks for the quick responce. I downloaded butler and it's perfect. I was using the Hot corner but i would accitendly activate the screen saver way too often and it got really annoying. But thanks for helping anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Yea, activating the screen saver accidently would be a real pain. I've got dual monitors with activation set for the lower right corner, so it isn't a problem for me. I hope that Butler works well for you.

Reaction score
I use it with a cordless mouse. Sometimes when you pick up the mouse to put in the charger, it would de-activate the saver. Using Butler and a hot key I dont have that problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.