• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

BestBuy to stop selling powerbooks?

Reaction score
The current Processors are built directly off the previous models... The Athlon 64 is still an Athlon at heart. The current Dothan Pentium is a PIII. The Current Pentium 4 is the same core as when it was first released. I don't see when they supposidly swapped out cores? The SSE3 instruction set was just released with the Prescott Pentium 4. If they were now emulating past instruction sets, they wouldn't be releasing new ones. My arguement stands that the P4 and Athlon are still CISC processors. If you have links to articles that say otherwise, please post them. I'd love to read them.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Avid6eek said:
My arguement stands that the P4 and Athlon are still CISC processors. If you have links to articles that say otherwise, please post them. I'd love to read them.

First link from Google: http://www.cpuid.com/PentiumM/index.php

From the article:

"The Pentium !!! micro-architecture is based on a RISC core with 5 units, and a 10-stages pipeline."

Or the second link: http://www.tom.womack.net/x86FAQ/faq_cores.html

"Designed as a competitor for the Pentium, the AMD K5 failed in the market essentially because it was not possible to produce it at very competitive clock rates. It used the P2-like technique of converting X86 operations to RISC-like ones,"

Oops, looks like they've been doing it for years!

Now you could have saved yourselfsome embarrassment by googling yourself, like my granny used to say, "Before opening mouth, engage google". ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Where's the embarassment? I told you I would love to read them. I have no problem learning new things. Last I knew they were CISC processors....but that is very old information. Personally, whether they are RISC or CISC, doesn't mean a darn thing to me. As long as they work, and offere the features/performance I need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.