BabyCam Question: Best Option for Watching a Live Analog Video Stream on iMac?

Reaction score
Hi folks. I bought one of those babycam things as I work from home and would like to keep an eye on my kid ... without having to buy a laptop with webcam, hire a 24/7 nanny or keep the crib in my office. The wireless receiver has the standard RGB cables (red, yellow, white analog). I used to have a Sony VAIO with a TV tuner and it plugged right into the Sony and showed up on one of the TV things. Macs, obviously, don't take Analog. I know there are apps/devices like Pinnacle's "Dazzle" that let you record; I don't want to capture and record video, though. I just want to monitor live. I've been looking at the EyeTV 250 Plus. I see that it has the "breakout cable" for composite, but I have no idea if it's going to do what I want - or HOW it shows up on the Mac end (does it expect that you want to record?).

Any ideas? I could do the Dazzle thing, but... I don't know how that would work since I'm not going to record video 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Thanks and have a nice holiday...

OP
T
Reaction score
In case someone stumbles across this one day... I tried the EyeTV 250; didn't work.

Reaction score
babycam

I use facetime which is free on wi-fi and it works great ...

Hi folks. I bought one of those babycam things as I work from home and would like to keep an eye on my kid ... without having to buy a laptop with webcam, hire a 24/7 nanny or keep the crib in my office. The wireless receiver has the standard RGB cables (red, yellow, white analog). I used to have a Sony VAIO with a TV tuner and it plugged right into the Sony and showed up on one of the TV things. Macs, obviously, don't take Analog. I know there are apps/devices like Pinnacle's "Dazzle" that let you record; I don't want to capture and record video, though. I just want to monitor live. I've been looking at the EyeTV 250 Plus. I see that it has the "breakout cable" for composite, but I have no idea if it's going to do what I want - or HOW it shows up on the Mac end (does it expect that you want to record?).

Any ideas? I could do the Dazzle thing, but... I don't know how that would work since I'm not going to record video 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Thanks and have a nice holiday...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.