unable to launch iweb

Reaction score
When I want to start iweb, a window with the following message appears:
"The document My Albums.webtemplate could not be opened"
When I press ok (only option), another window appears with the following message:
"iweb: Can’t open file “/Applications/iWeb.app/Contents/Resources/Themes/Black.webtheme/English.lproj/My Albums.webtemplate."

Last week Ive tried to customize themes in iweb following these instructions:
Customize iWeb 2.0 Themes and Edit XML | 11Mystics

at first it worked, but after restarting the next day I was not able to launch iweb anymore.

Can anyone help? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you don't have a backup to revert to (Time Machine), try working backwards from the instructions you used to customize themes. In other words, undo what you previously did. The instructions are straight forward, so you should be able to figure out what it was that changed.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Unfortunately backing up is not working. This was the first thing Ive tried, but an error on the back up encountered "unable to back up".

Ive tried to work things backwards and deleted the duplicates Ive created. Again, this doesnt work. I have no idea what to do now.

I guess my options are to delete iweb from my mac and then download it again from the web and install. No idea if this works though. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
Not sure this'll help...

...but if you're still experiencing the problem, this is what I did to fix a VERY similar problem:

Made sure iWeb was closed.
Moved My Albums.webtemplate to my desktop (moved, not copied)
Opened iWeb, which popped up the message that I needed a Domain in order to continue, do I want to choose one? I said no, which closed iWeb
Moved My Albums.webtemplate back to it's original place.
Opened iWeb with no problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.