Not impressed with Apples Customer service

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Aluminum, 4gb DDR3 Ram, 250 GB Hard Drive
I called about the screen flicker on my MacBook, and I was ran all over the place by apple.

Apparently my Macbook is part of a capture, which means that I cant exchange it at an apple store, because the laptop has to be shipped to apple (and why can't the store do that???), and it will take them about 48 hours to even get a hold of me, and since its christmas, the process wont even be started until next monday.

Well next monday, im going to be in Seattle which is about 5 hours from where I live so its going to be even longer until im able to return the laptop.

On top of that, I now have to back up all my data, and I dont have a time machine or anything like that yet.

So instead of simply taking my laptop to an apple store and exchanging it there, I have to do all this crap and for at least another week im stuck with a laptop with a screen that flickers so much it hurts my eyes.

How long do you have to be a customer until this so called "excellent" customer service takes place?

I spent $2000 on this thing, seems like they would at least be able to fix it without a big headache for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're complaining in the wrong place..... You should contact someone higher up in the chain of command if you're dissatisfied with the service you received.

Who did you speak to at the Apple Store? Did you ask to speak with the manager?

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, take it to your nearest Apple store.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're complaining in the wrong place..... You should contact someone higher up in the chain of command if you're dissatisfied with the service you received.

Who did you speak to at the Apple Store? Did you ask to speak with the manager?

Regards.
I know this is the wrong place, sorry, I am very active on a BMW forum so I know how it is with the newbs haha.

I actually called Apple and was told this over the phone.

I didn't take it to an Apple store yet, but I am tempted to run it in and see if they can do anything.

The only problem is is that I added the 2 extra gb of ram from apple (I know :Oops:) and I dont know if the store will be able to take care of that

Yep, take it to your nearest Apple store.
I wonder how bad that would irritate the people at apple though after they told me that it was not possible to take this laptop to an apple store...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Schedule a Genius Bar appointment online and take it into the Apple Store (I emphasize scheduling an appointment, because this time of year, you'll have a heck of a time finding an open spot at the bar). There's no reason this can't be handled at a store, it's a common problem.

Oh, and just curious - is this a standard MacBook or a MacBook Pro? I only ask because this problem is usually germane to the standard MacBook, but you said you spent $2K on it, which is more like the cost of a MacBook Pro.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Wouldn't worry about irritating anyone that you'll never see. If the store is willing to trade it out for you, it's easy enough to move the ram from one machine to another. That should be the least of the problems. Of course you never know with corporate rules what is going to happen. Worst that happens the store says no or you may walk out pleasantly surprised.

edit: and the appointment is a good idea

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Schedule a Genius Bar appointment online and take it into the Apple Store (I emphasize scheduling an appointment, because this time of year, you'll have a heck of a time finding an open spot at the bar). There's no reason this can't be handled at a store, it's a common problem.

Oh, and just curious - is this a standard MacBook or a MacBook Pro? I only ask because this problem is usually germane to the standard MacBook, but you said you spent $2K on it, which is more like the cost of a MacBook Pro.
Unfortunatly, I spent the $2,000 on a regular macbook

1,499 base+$135 for 2 gb DDR3+$183 3 year apple care+tax=~$2000 :(

My only concern though is that I upgraded the ram, and im not sure what the apple store would be able to do because of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Even if you upgraded the RAM yourself, it shouldn't be a problem. RAM upgrades do not void the warranty or the Applecare agreement.

I'm sure there are Apple Stores in Seattle, I recommend you try and schedule an appointment with one of them. Calling tech support 2 days before Christmas probably isn't the best way to get instant results no matter what company you're dealing with. Looks like Murphy's Law got you this time, sorry.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if you upgraded the RAM yourself, it shouldn't be a problem. RAM upgrades do not void the warranty or the Applecare agreement.

I'm sure there are Apple Stores in Seattle, I recommend you try and schedule an appointment with one of them. Calling tech support 2 days before Christmas probably isn't the best way to get instant results no matter what company you're dealing with. Looks like Murphy's Law got you this time, sorry.
The main thing I am upset about is that according to the people on the phone it is "Not possible" for me to exchange the laptop at an apple store.

And the ram upgrade was done by Apple, which is why I am wondering how the apple store would be able to change out my laptop, or if they would even be able to do it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The main thing I am upset about is that according to the people on the phone it is "Not possible" for me to exchange the laptop at an apple store.

And the ram upgrade was done by Apple, which is why I am wondering how the apple store would be able to change out my laptop, or if they would even be able to do it.

I've been told by Apple tech support that certain things weren't "possible", only to have a complete reversal upon pressing the issue or escalating to a supervisor. The last incident was with an iPod that was almost out of warranty, but clearly had a failing hard drive. I was told that the only way to ship it out for a depot repair was by paying $30 for a shipping box. At the time, there was no Apple store within reasonable distance. I refused, citing the fact that I could ship an item of just a few ounces via USPS Priority Mail, anywhere in the country for a fraction of the cost. Yet, they persisted that it MUST be shipped with the $30 box (or I could, of course pay $60 for AppleCare, for another 2 years of warranty and complimentary shipping). Yet after asking to speak with a supervisor, of course it was "possible", although they warned me that they would not be responsible for the item being lost in shipment. Whatever... either way, I was surprised at the less than cordial service level I received.

But it's a different story at the Apple Store. Just recently, one was opened locally and I just happened to have a malfunctioning SuperDrive. Although I had a tough time convincing the Genius bar tech that the mechanism itself was faulty, eventually he just decided to replace it, and overall I was very happy - particularly with the 8 hour turnaround time. In that and subsequent visits, I've been pleasantly surprised with how pleasent and accommodating the staff are there.

So, score one for the Apple Store staff, and subtract one for Apple phone-in tech support. In all honesty, I've had better telephone support from Dell, particularly the queues designated for large business.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been told by Apple tech support that certain things weren't "possible", only to have a complete reversal upon pressing the issue or escalating to a supervisor. The last incident was with an iPod that was almost out of warranty, but clearly had a failing hard drive. I was told that the only way to ship it out for a depot repair was by paying $30 for a shipping box. At the time, there was no Apple store within reasonable distance. I refused, citing the fact that I could ship an item of just a few ounces via USPS Priority Mail, anywhere in the country for a fraction of the cost. Yet, they persisted that it MUST be shipped with the $30 box (or I could, of course pay $60 for AppleCare, for another 2 years of warranty and complimentary shipping). Yet after asking to speak with a supervisor, of course it was "possible", although they warned me that they would not be responsible for the item being lost in shipment. Whatever... either way, I was surprised at the less than cordial service level I received.

But it's a different story at the Apple Store. Just recently, one was opened locally and I just happened to have a malfunctioning SuperDrive. Although I had a tough time convincing the Genius bar tech that the mechanism itself was faulty, eventually he just decided to replace it, and overall I was very happy - particularly with the 8 hour turnaround time. In that and subsequent visits, I've been pleasantly surprised with how pleasent and accommodating the staff are there.

So, score one for the Apple Store staff, and subtract one for Apple phone-in tech support. In all honesty, I've had better telephone support from Dell, particularly the queues designated for large business.

ok, so say I take it to an apple store tomorrow or friday.

Will they be able to get me 4gb of ram in my new macbook, and what will apple phone support think of that if I was to take it into the store?

I would like to stay in good terms with applecare

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, so say I take it to an apple store tomorrow or friday.

Will they be able to get me 4gb of ram in my new macbook, and what will apple phone support think of that if I was to take it into the store?

I would like to stay in good terms with applecare

In my experience, the Apple Stores operate independently from Apple Tech Support. For example, once I called the SuperDrive into Apple Care, they pretty much only offered me a depot repair option. When I protested, they said "schedule an appointment with the Apple Store or find a local Apple Authorized Repair Provider". They did not offer any kind of reference number, nor did they schedule an appointment for me - I was just on my own. When I arrived at the Genius Bar, the tech treated me like I was a new case, never referencing any kind of repair order or record of the problem.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it. If the Apple Store deems it necessary to replace the machine, I'm sure nobody's feelings will be hurt at Apple Care.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my experience, the Apple Stores operate independently from Apple Tech Support. For example, once I called the SuperDrive into Apple Care, they pretty much only offered me a depot repair option. When I protested, they said "schedule an appointment with the Apple Store or find a local Apple Authorized Repair Provider". They did not offer any kind of reference number, nor did they schedule an appointment for me - I was just on my own. When I arrived at the Genius Bar, the tech treated me like I was a new case, never referencing any kind of repair order or record of the problem.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it. If the Apple Store deems it necessary to replace the machine, I'm sure nobody's feelings will be hurt at Apple Care.
alright, would moving the extra 2gb of ram over be a big deal?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not at all. It's always been quite easy with the Macbook to upgrade the RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Remember that Apple are providing us a service and considering the way the Phone Service has treated you, I wouldn't be worried about getting on bad terms with them - they seem to have already managed to do this with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

Totally agree. The apple stores dont really seem to have much to do with tech support. I would just take it in and see what they say.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, to my surprise, Apple called this morning and they got the shipping labels to me and everything, said I could probably have the laptop by monday...but im going to take it to a store on friday, and if worst comes to worst, I can just ship it out monday if the apple store cant take care of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.