only photoshop?

M

maislin88

what other programs are there besides photoshop. Its so expensive. is it truly the best? If you have it could you post some pictures of your projects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Or you can use Photoshop Elements which is a whole lot cheaper and has most all the same features.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Murlyn said:
Or you can use Photoshop Elements which is a whole lot cheaper and has most all the same features.

Yep, for everything but the real professional stuff Elements is the biz, I picked up a copy from PC world for about 30 quid and it works on PC's as well!

btw, if you like Gimp checkout FilmGimp!

Amen-Moses

OP
I

IChing

I have both photoshop elements II and photoshop cs, which was given to me this Christmas. Elements especially the new elements III has everything you will need unless you are really gonna go professional.
CS was a great gift but it almost has too much information for the amateur.
Also there are great books out on elements and many resources on-line that can really make this program sing.

I would suggest elements, which gives you bang for the bucks, and is the little brother of the standard for photographers, adobe cs.

OP
I

IChing

Photoshop creative suite adobe, which includes the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop®, Illustrator®, InDesign®, and GoLive® software and new Adobe Acrobat® 7.0 Professional software.

Elements will get you going though until you build your skills

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

maislin88 said:
on another note, what would you use to do stuff like on this website.
http://www.digitalavenues.net/2basicpg/home.htm

I don't have 'Elements, so I don't know if it comes with Imageready. But those animated things look like animated gifs. The thing with the hand thing probably could be done with Wings3D http://www.wings3d.com or Blender. Both are free programs. The former (in its latest update) doesn't work with OS10.3.

Another 'non-free' replacement for Photoshop would be Macromedia's Fireworks MX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
corel photopaint is a reasonable alternative to photoshop.

OP
M

maislin88

is there anywhere to purchase and older version of photoshop. That would be alot cheaper wouldn't it

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

Photoshop is definately the creme of the crop, but likely more than most people not working professionally need.

JASC Paint Shop Pro is a pretty good program, unfortunately not for the mac yet. Corel painter is though, not sure about how good it is.

Macromedia Fireworks is also pretty good, with a more shallow learning curve.

I'd say try out the Gimp, and if your not satisfied, perhaps try out Fireworks. There really isn't a good reason to shell out the $$$ for photoshop unless your really going to put it through its motions.

OP
I

IChing

You can get elements 2.o for mac for $29 online its what I started on my pc. Then you can start with adobe and use the books, online help, and other vast resources for adobe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Ti PB G4 867MHz 1GB RAM 10.4.6
I bought PS 7 through my campus computer store for: $262.00

But you have to be a student/faculty to buy: www.campuscomputer.com

A lot less then whatever Adobe wants for it retail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.