Hosed by MacConnection...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
I'm still too upset to type much, but I want to get this down. Briefly, I'm looking to buy a new MBP (2.53Ghz, 4gb, 320gb model). MacConnection advertised a price of $2199 after rebate, with no shipping and no tax. I emailed them last Tuesday (12/16) to inquire about how long their sales price would be in effect. I received an email the following day which said that the sales price would be in effect until December 31st.

I called to place the order today and found out that the price is now $2349 after rebate. Eric, a MacConnection supervisor, read the email I'd been sent, but refused to honor the price. He claimed some BS about Apple raising the price, but the bottom line is that he wouldn't honor the commitment made to me by whomsoever on his team answered my email.

BEWARE of MacConnection. They do NOT honor their commitments. They are liars and frauds. Now, I realize that others may have had a different experience with them and that my sample of one is too small for generalizations, but the point is that they are, at best unpredictable and unreliable. Caveat Emptor...

Ken

A senior manager from MacConnection responded to say that they would absolutely honor the price in the email. He apologized for what was essentially a training issue, saying that the supervisor who denied me earlier was simply mistaken and that the email was functionally the same as a formal quote. I successfully placed the order and am now waiting for my new MBP. If the computer is as represented, then I'll be happy. For now, consider me guardedly optimistic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
So a small mistake on their part has gotten you to declare a well respected company to be liars and frauds, and even after the mistake has been rectified, you have not retracted your earlier statement.

Looks like you should put a warning label at the bottom of your own posts that you are prone to the melodramatic and post in the heat of the moment, so readers beware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Aluminum, 4gb DDR3 Ram, 250 GB Hard Drive
I would be upset also.

OP
kbalch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
So a small mistake on their part has gotten you to declare a well respected company to be liars and frauds, and even after the mistake has been rectified, you have not retracted your earlier statement.

Looks like you should put a warning label at the bottom of your own posts that you are prone to the melodramatic and post in the heat of the moment, so readers beware.

Actually, it was a $150 difference. Not a 'small' mistake - at least not to me. The principle was even more important. A company that won't stand behind their quotes are, indeed, liars and frauds.

I acknowledged that my sample of one wasn't significant, but I think that 'Caveat Emptor' is always good advice, no matter how 'respected' a particular company may be.

I edited my post to say that I was guardedly optimistic, but did not wish to redact my original text. The error of the supervisor with whom I originally spoke (not just a front line person, but a supervisor, no less) was, to me, egregious. People should note that, in at least this one instance, MacConnection had a serious training issue with one employee.

You read one post of mine and have already made a judgement about behavior to which I'm 'prone'. Talk about a sample of one. Let's see: read one post, render a snap judgement, include verbiage about appending warnings to my future posts. Doesn't sound any more well-reasoned and/or carefully considered than you suggested I had been...

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well now we have read two posts....................

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
It is frustrating when you are dealing with that kind of money. Hopefully, everything gets straightened out for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Actually, it was a $150 difference. Not a 'small' mistake - at least not to me.
I'm sorry, how exactly are you out $150? You hadn't bought anything from them. The damage to you was probably fifteen minutes of your time, no money at all.

If you'd actually bought something from them and then they tried to charge you another $150, then you should be upset. But you lost nothing, even before the company decided to make good.

Calm down, and save your rants for when someone actually does something that impacts you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Wow.....all I can say is Karma sneaks up on you when you least expect it.

You have absolutely no right to say "They do NOT honor their commitments. They are liars and frauds." about MacConnection because you have no reasonable grounds to make those statements since they *DID* honor their commitment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Rant threads just get more and more pathetic.

kbalch said 'I'm still too upset to type much, but I want to get this down.'

Would you get a grip? You must be pretty emotionally screwed to be this upset over a small price confusion!! The first guy on the phone obviously had it set in his mind that was the price for the MBP and thought you were wrong - he represents a large company and has to adhere to rules. It's absolutely pathetic the way you start and go on to call them fraudsters and liars. If you really believe that then I think you need to see someone about your emotional issues and how upset you get when the price of a MBP alters $150 you pansy.

Reaction score
Following Up - Did You Receive Your MBP?

Ken,

I'm Director of E-Commerce for PCConnection.com / MacConnection.com and just came across your post.

I'm sorry to hear that your initial experience with us wasn't great. I checked in with our Customer Service team earlier this afternoon and they confirmed that the pricing discrepancy was a training oversight on our part, but that your order was shipped and at the price you were given via email.

According to our records, your shipment was delivered on the 26th. If there's anything else amiss, please don't hesitate to contact the Customer Service Manager you spoke with and we'll be happy to get you all taken care of.

Again, I'm sorry to read that your order was a bit rocky when you first contacted us, but we really appreciate your patience and we're hoping you enjoy your new MBP!

Regards,

Seth
PCConnection.com / MacConnection.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
rectified then?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So, you get the notebook, at the quoted price, in 3 days time including a holiday, and no response to let anyone know they took very good care of you?

Several days later? Bet that first post was less than 5 minutes after you got off the phone.

Oftentimes it's best to have at least a little reflection prior to putting your words down for posterity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.