Got windows installed fine, just cant get the driver to work

Reaction score
Hey guys - new to the forums
I have a brand new Aluminum Macbook Pro 2.4ghz w/ 4gbRam
- In the past i have put my copy of Windows XP SP2 Pro on the older version macbook pro's with ease.

On the new macbook pro, i chose a 32gb partition, and i used the FAT format - and since this hasnt been working i also tried the NTFS format.
The problem now lies when installing the windows drivers from the install cd (install CD 1 that is). I get windows installed fully, seems be working fine. Then i insert the 'Mac OSX Install Disc 1' that came with the laptop. It recognizes it, and seems to install fine and i get the message at the end of the bootcamp installer saying "you have successfully installed the windows drives...." bla bla bla.
Once i restart (after it has told me to) the only thing that appears to show up on the tray in the bottom right corner is the 'Realtek Audio' and 'Bootcamp Assistant' along with the time etc... Things like my ethernet, wireless, bluetooth etc has not been recognized at all - and it does this with all disc formats (both FAT, FAT32 and NTFS).

Is it possible that the new macs can only run Vista? or am i doing something blatently wrong. Ive done this before on my older macbook pro's, the same way, and worked every time.

I need windows to run for school next semester (going back in about a week and a half) for a computer class im taking- any guidance, tips, or instruction would be much appreciated.

Thanks
r6kid

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The file system has nothing whatsoever to do with drivers for hardware. Drivers could care less if you're using NTFS or FAT-32 - it's transparent.

BTW, if you created a 32 Gb partition for XP, you should use NTFS as the file system.

The problem you're running into is that the drivers have not been installed properly or at all. If you know how to bring up the hardware tree in XP, (Control Panel, System, Hardware Devices) take a look at which hardware has been recognized and working.

Any hardware that is either not recognized or has no driver will be flagged with an exclamation mark !

All the proper Windows drivers for your new MBP should be included with your Leopard DVD set. Did you try inserting both DVD 1 and DVD 2?

You should be running Boot Camp 2.1. Are you? If not, try downloading 2.1 for Windows XP.

Also, you might want to take a look in the Apple forum data base and see if there are similar problems as you're having - with solutions.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Forum Home

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
hey there
thanks for the reply
I am using the right CD's - i tried both and only disc 1 is recognized with drivers... i even tried the old leopard osx disc - neither versions work (bootcamp 2.1 and 2.0)
so im kind of in a stand still here and im getting a little frustrated.

I called apple and they were very helpful - i tried everything they suggested and still nothing work to get my computer to recognize the drivers - i even installed a copy of windows vista (upgrade disc and it installs 32bit vista) and the drivers still didnt work.

The guy i was talking to was going to call the engineers at apple because apparently in their database there have been some problems with the new macbook pro's and trying to run bootcamp/windows. - so after all, it may just be bad lack and the hardware not running as it should.

any other suggestions that could help would be awsome,
otherwise, ill keep ya guys posted :)

r6kid

Reaction score
Hey guys - new to the forums
I have a brand new Aluminum Macbook Pro 2.4ghz w/ 4gbRam
- In the past i have put my copy of Windows XP SP2 Pro on the older version macbook pro's with ease.

On the new macbook pro, i chose a 32gb partition, and i used the FAT format - and since this hasnt been working i also tried the NTFS format.
The problem now lies when installing the windows drivers from the install cd (install CD 1 that is). I get windows installed fully, seems be working fine. Then i insert the 'Mac OSX Install Disc 1' that came with the laptop. It recognizes it, and seems to install fine and i get the message at the end of the bootcamp installer saying "you have successfully installed the windows drives...." bla bla bla.
Once i restart (after it has told me to) the only thing that appears to show up on the tray in the bottom right corner is the 'Realtek Audio' and 'Bootcamp Assistant' along with the time etc... Things like my ethernet, wireless, bluetooth etc has not been recognized at all - and it does this with all disc formats (both FAT, FAT32 and NTFS).

Thanks
r6kid

I have the same problem. bootcamp and bootcamp2.1 upgrade both run fine and report success, yet the end result is exactly the same as yours. I tried copying .inf, .sys, .dll and .cat files in the DRVstore (or similar name) folder where bootcamp stores the drivers to the appropriate windows folders (system32, inf, dllcache, etc.) to absolutely NO AVAIL.

I have a brand new macbook unibody 2.0 Ghz. Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uni-Body MacBook 2GHz, 500GB HD
I am also experiencing this issue with a 2GHz Aluminum Unibody MacBook.

Win XP is installed on a bootcamp partition 25GB FAT32.

It does not recognize ethernet or airport. Judging by the chopping movement of windows around the screen, I would guess that the graphics card drivers are not recognized either.

I used a retail copy of Leopard for the install. Looking forward to trying the disks that originally came with this MacBook since they are much more recent, though from what I've read that doesn't sounds like it will help. I've already downloaded the latest version of BootCamp drivers from Apple.com/support/bootcamp in Mac OS X and then copied them to the BootCamp partition for installation. I also installed the Multitouch Trackpad Update in the same manner, which definitely worked. The trackpad works great now, but I don't see a place to adjust the click settings or multitouch.

Hoping someone here has better luck with Internet access than I did. Let us know!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.