New MacBook Pro Battery Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4Ghz Late 2008 Edition
So... I have no idea why this is happening?

A week or so ago, I was plugging in a firewire cable into my MBP, and after simply touching it, my computer instantly shut down.

I had zero clue what happened, especially since I literally touched it to the firewire port.

I turned my computer on, and it appeared to be working fine, except for one thing.
The battery monitor on the top right of the Finder was the battery icon with a simple X in the middle of it. I knew what this meant (happened to my mom's last generation MAcBook), that the battery wasn't working anymore. Curious, I pulled the Power cable form my laptop, and weirdly enough, my computer didn't turn off, so my battery must of been working fine. I restarted my computer, and the dead battery icon went away, and was replaced by the charging battery icon.

But, this is what it looks like now, and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Any ideas on how to fix/if it needs to be fixed.
Also, why would my computer shut down after being touched in the firewire port. I've tried it again, and my computer hasn't reacted in that way either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Might of been some static electricity.

If your computer is new, take it back to Apple.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The computer works perfectly now, its just the display thats screwed up.

Is there really a need to?
Will I be screwed over in the future?

EDIT:Actually, its now at 87% charge.

Even though I bought my computer via ClubMac, I should be able to bring it in to an Apple Store, right?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so my battery is fried.
It still holds power, but it doesn't recharge at all -its sitting at 12% now.

If I were to bring it into an Apple Store, would I get a replacement battery right then or would I have to wait a few days?
I'm also on AppleCare if that matters.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Tell the Apple store that you got shocked from the book and now the battery doesn't work. They may just replace it as it would be easier. A shock is a serious thing and Apple don't want any lawsuits.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would they actually fall for that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.