FTP'ing from withing OS X

Reaction score
I have an FTP site. I log in, and can pull documents from this site, and everything is fine. If I try to put anything up on the site, I get the error..

The item "XXXX.jpg" could not be moved because "XXX.com" cannot be modified.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: I do have full read/write/modify permissions. I did log on with IE and everything worked fine.

V

VictoryRose

Avid6eek said:
I have an FTP site. I log in, and can pull documents from this site, and everything is fine. If I try to put anything up on the site, I get the error..

The item "XXXX.jpg" could not be moved because "XXX.com" cannot be modified.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: I do have full read/write/modify permissions. I did log on with IE and everything worked fine.

try using a client like transmit, you can download a free demo at http://www.panic.com/transmit/

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I have no problems downloading another client, but I would assume this feature should be built in. Before I use something else, I want to see if I can get this to work. No point in bloating my system with programs I don't really need.

M

meltbanana314

VictoryRose said:
wow, i didn't even know that existed, luckily i'm still running on my transmit demo, time to give fugu a shot, thanks!

No problem, mate. I'm glad I found it myself, otherwise I would have paid Panic's extortion fee for it (and the same with the Unison newsreader, until I found OSXNews)

M

meltbanana314

Avid6eek said:
Thanks for the links. I have no problems downloading another client, but I would assume this feature should be built in. Before I use something else, I want to see if I can get this to work. No point in bloating my system with programs I don't really need.

You've got a small supercomputer on your desk and you're worried about bloat? :mac:

V

VictoryRose

Avid6eek said:

i've always found ftp clients much easier to use than mac / windows ftp folders, but, to each his own. good luck and i hope you get it to work!

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
meltbanana314 said:
You've got a small supercomputer on your desk and you're worried about bloat?
I'm a performance hog! I like to keep computers as lean as possible, so they have the ability to work well when they need to. I can't wait to get a second gig of RAM in this system. Just did my taxes, so I'll get some RAM money in a few weeks.

I downloaded "Transmit"...seems to work pretty well. Only a demo copy though...gonna cost me $25 in a few weeks. I didn't really like the free copy suggested in here. I put in the IP, and try to connect to port 21 (FTP), and it just sits there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Avid6eek said:
I'm a performance hog! I like to keep computers as lean as possible, so they have the ability to work well when they need to. I can't wait to get a second gig of RAM in this system. Just did my taxes, so I'll get some RAM money in a few weeks.

I downloaded "Transmit"...seems to work pretty well. Only a demo copy though...gonna cost me $25 in a few weeks. I didn't really like the free copy suggested in here. I put in the IP, and try to connect to port 21 (FTP), and it just sits there.

Same on this end. It turns out you have to put in a built in tunnel server and use it to connect but even doing that it still would not connect to my DSL FTP where my homepage is.

Transmit may cost $25 but I have found it to be 100% solid. I also have PC's and even with the latest WSFTP Pro on some sites Resume will not work forcing me to resend the whole file but Transmit works 100% of the time. I am very impressed with Transmit. Used it for over a year now and nothing I have used has worked as well.

F

flonejek

I've used Fugu for ages, and I tried out Transmit, Transmits easier to use but Fugu has a bit more funcionality and is free.

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
I guess I will stick with Transmit. The only "functionality" I need from an FTP client, is the ability to actually FTP files to the server. As always, thanks for the help guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.