Need Help Installing Windows via Boot Camp

Reaction score
I just upgraded to Leopard and I decided it was about time to install Windows so I didnt have to use two computers to test websites in Internet Explorer and for a few other reasons. So I went through the steps, running the Boot Camp Assistant, installing XP SP2, and trying to install the drivers. Everything goes perfectly until I try to install MacBook specific hardware drivers. I boot into XP and put my Leopard disc in the drive and nothing happens.

I have tried running the setup.exe manually just in case autorun was turned off and the prompt flashes for a second. I decided to see what the problem was and when I run the setup.exe from the prompt it says "Program is too big to fit in memory." I read somewhere that I needed to defrag before installing, but still no luck. I should have enough RAM as I have 2 gigs and I also have more than enough space on the HD as I made a 10 gig partition. I am using fat32 for the windows partition on a year and a half old MacBook.

Any help or direction to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That symptom is usually caused by installing an improper copy of XP SP2. The copy of XP SP2 has to be a full (not upgrade) MS boxed version of either Home or Pro SP2, or a system builders full install copy of Home or Pro SP2. Branded OEM versions will not work, nor will restore or recovery disks.

Regards.

Reaction score
Are you installing the 32 bit version of XP? I tried to install XP 64 bit and I had a similar problem....

OP
V
Reaction score
Ok it is a dell specific recovery disc, so I guess thats the problem. Thanks guys.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok it is a dell specific recovery disc, so I guess thats the problem. Thanks guys.

No problem, live and learn. ;D

You can purchase a full install OEM system builder's XP SP2 at NewEgg or Amazon. Amazon has it for $94.00 but you may be able to find it somewhere else for less. Just be careful - DO NOT buy from eBay as most of those OEM copies are fake or pirated.

Regards.

OP
V
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried a regular version (not OEM) of XP Professional SP2 and still the same problem. Do I need to change the partition to NTFS or make it bigger. This is really frustrating.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of XP Pro SP2 disk did you use? Is it a full install copy or upgrade? Is it a VL copy? (Volume Licensed copies will not work)

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought maybe that's what you might have done. :Smirk: Anyway, do like I suggested before and buy a system builders OEM copy of XP SP2 full install. You might be able to find a copy less expensive than the $90 or so that most vendors are asking. I found a copy (was 6 months ago) for $79.00.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Is it a VL copy? (Volume Licensed copies will not work)

That's not true, I've got a VL copy installed on my machine, as do several of my friends.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.