A Second Laptop for my wife...ideas?

Reaction score
About six months ago I got a Macbook and I love it.

I would like to get an Apple machine for my wife, but I don't know anything about previous generations of Apple hardware.

She just surfs the web and emails, so I don't need anything cutting edge, but it should be able to run Leopard.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I did about the same as you.

Got my wife just the basic model MB, no DVD-burner. She browses the web, e-mail, IM and plays some 2D games on it.

Mac's hold their value so well, am not really into advising looking for a used machine. Would not suggest getting a machine with a PPC chip in it at this point, stick with Intel. Yes, it will cost a little more. But, I can't see buying a 3 year old used machine for $500-600 when you can get a refurb from Apple, with warranty, for $750-$850. Cheapest they have today is $850, but I saw one on there last week for $750.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 4 GB/ 120 GB HDD/ 250 GB External HD
A Mac mini may also be a good option if it doesn't need to be highly portable. If you already have an old computer you could pull the monitor and all from that, I believe, and use it with the mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 4 GB/ 120 GB HDD/ 250 GB External HD
I'm sorry; never mind on the mini. I didn't read the notebook only thing in the title.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
The last G4 Power book and G4 iBook versions will run Leopard but need 1 gig ram to work reasonably well. iWork'08 needs a gig minimum.
My last version, 2006 1.42Ghz iBook with Leopard, iLife and iWork has just gone to a new switcher home. Family so I can still keep an eye on it. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

I thought about getting a new Macbook and giving her mine, but mine is perfect, I don't need one of the recent ones.

In the off chance she'll ever have to write a paper, she can use mine--I am in grad school and she has a BS and isn't going back any time soon...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.