Emac 700mhz original

Reaction score
Just bought an emac with its original configuration. The only things I want to do to it are: upgrade the 40 gig hd to160 gig, mem from 512mg to 1024mg, add an 802.11b original airport card, and finally, add a dual layer dvd burner. The only thing I am not sure about is the dvd burner. I know that it is the full size type (5.25) with IDE connection.Will any brand, optical drive that meets this criteria work, or do I need to stick to certain brands. Os X Tiger is currently installed on the machine. Any help with this information will be greatly appreciated.

thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Below is a link, with photos, on replacing the optical drive in a 2006 eMac, which would include your model. Pioneer are top optical drives and are as cheap as chips.

A Pioneer 115 Superdrive DL 20X IDE should be available for under $40.00 and will be recognised as native by your eMac, as Pioneer drives were original installs in many cases..

The drive will work also but again must be an IDE and not SATA.

eMac Disassembly

Keep us posted on your progress?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the guide.

Thanks for the the guide. I plan on upgrading my optical drive in the near future, and this guide will come in handy. I also have an Apple take apart guide, which I used to replace the original HD today. I put in a 250gb Western Digital and it is working perfectly. I will keep you posted as to how it goes. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.