Merging HDD's

Reaction score
Basically here's my problem. I currently use the program Connect360 to stream all my videos,music and pictures to my Xbox 360 to watch on my TV.

The program is perfect but I am now getting to the point where I have too many videos to fit on just one HDD. The program can only share one HDD at a time and I need a way for it to do both.

My friend thinks there maybe a way of merging two HDD's so the computer (and hopefully the program) reads them as one.

Is this possible or just a dream. Also if anyone has any other idea they will be very welcome.

Cheers

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Are you planning on using internal or external HD's? Also are they going to be your boot volume?

If you just need to create a stripped data set of two HD's, just use Disk Utility. It can create a RAID set of two or more disks,..say of the USB variety or even internal SATA. They will mount as one "Drive" but there will be some storage loss due to the nature of what you are trying to do. They must always be plugged in the same way though.

You can't create a RAID with an existing drive without losing all the data though. Make sure you have a backup.

OP
dups12345
Reaction score
It will hopefully be two external drives. I may just get one big HDD in the jan sales but thanks for your help. May still use your advice so I have LOADS of space haha

cheers

michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
From the iPartition FAQ

It seems to be the trending answer from disk utility programers.

"21. Can iPartition combine or merge two partitions?

No.

What you can do is shrink one to its absolute minimum size, then grow the other one and move files across.

If there’s enough free space to do this in one go, then it might be worth taking this approach. Otherwise, you’re probably best off backing-up the files from one partition, deleting it, growing the remaining partition, then restoring the files from your back-up."

...and Drive Genius

"Q: I have 2 partitions with data on my drive. Can I merge them into one
partition?
A: Drive Genius 2 cannot do volume merging for now. We are looking into adding
the feature in a future version."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.