Which Macbook?

Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase one of the following, at the following pricepoints, and was wondering which would be a better choice for me.

Option 1: $750
Macbook Pro (1st Generation) 15.4''
80 GB HD
1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
1 GB Ram (Free Slot)
SuperDrive

Option 2: $600
Macbook (1st Generation) 13.3''
200 GB HD (Hitachi 7200rpm)
2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB Ram

Please help! The main difference, I guess is the Pro vs. not Pro, but Option 2 seems the better choice considering I would have to upgrade the Ram and HD of option 1.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
normal macbooks never came with a 15" screen, are you sure the second isn't a macbook pro as well?

consider that hard drives and memory are really the only thing you can upgrade on a macbook or macbook pro, so don't factor those in too heavily. go by screen, graphics and chipset according to your needs.

OP
J
Reaction score
Whoops! Typo on my part. It is 13.3''.

I don't plan to game on the Mac, just watch movies and download music for the most part. Might dabble in making videos, but nothing too serious.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, if you don't need the screen, the macbook should be fine, but only a $150 dollar difference, i might go for the pro, you can always add memory and HD.

the other consideration would be the condition. are they both in tip top shape? do they both come with original restore media and/or a new copy of leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
for only $150 a MBP is the way to go imho...

Do either have any applecare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Take the Macbook Pro anyday just because of the graphics card which is only on the pro the CPU difference is miniscule. The ram and the hard drive can be upgraded later and when Snow Leopard comes out you will really notice the difference on the Pro because of OpenCL which will let the GPU do calculations as well as the CPU while the Macbook has to stick with the Integrated Graphics (Excluding the Unibody MB's of Course)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...The ram and the hard drive can be upgraded later and when Snow Leopard comes out you will really notice the difference on the Pro because of OpenCL which will let the GPU do calculations as well as the CPU while the Macbook has to stick with the Integrated Graphics (Excluding the Unibody MB's of Course)

New Unibody MB still has to shared memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.