Airport express, time capsule at&t u-verse...

Reaction score
So here is what I am proposing to do..

A little bit a bout my current set up:
I have a living room, and a library (basically a media room). I have stereos in both rooms. I have at&t u-verse which means they provided us with a 54G wifi router (TVs set top boxes are hard wired with cat 5 to the router)

In the library i have a network switch that splits the cat 5 connection from the u-verse router. I then connect my u-verse set top box, network printer, xbox 360, and NDAS hard drive up to the switch.

In the family room I have a WMB54G sound-bridge wi-fi connected to my u-verse router. (this sound-bridge is windows only so its a bit of a problem for me right now)

What I want to do:

I want to have audio bridge capability in the family room and/or library.

Now from what I understand is all these airports and time capsuls are routers in themselves. If I were to connect one airport to the u-verse router in a DMZ, and the other airport device (used only for the purpose of a sound-bridge) to the network behind the u-verse router firewall, would i be able to access either sound-bridge at any one time? Can you run the airport as a stand alone device within a network?

I'd prefer to have all connections going to the ISP provided router, and the airport and time capsul working as devices on that network.

The TV's can only work behind switches.

The one other option I thought of doing is having an airport connected to the family room stereo, and use the wifi airport tool on my notebook to access it only when i want to stream music to it, however once connected to that airport I'd have no internet.

However if I were able to run an airport as a switch, i could plug the cat5 line that normally goes to the TV in the living room into the airport, and run the TV to the airport, and then have the airport set up as a switch/wifi access point.

I haven't bought any airport nor timecapsul yet.

If the time capsule and airport are able to run as switches, with wifi radio off, and I can maintain connection to my 2WIRE u-verse router, then that'd be great. I could eliminate the linksys switch in the library, and have all my devices plugged into the time capsule. In the family room i could do what i mentioned above.

Yes I do realize that the 2WIRE is only 54G and these airport devices are N, however the only N device I own is my macbook pro. I do see though that when connecting to the time capsule running it with an N connection will be a lot better.

The other idea would be to hook the time capsule into the DMZ, and use that for my computers, and let the Xbox stay in the 2wire router.

Reaction score
WMB54G does work in Mac. However it's far from perfect. Run parallels, or some other virtual machine, such that the windows box is it's own entity on the network. Then your virtual box will configure and see the WMB54G. Unfortunately, you only get about 8 seconds at a time. Haven't figured out how to increase the buffer size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.