Need to Lock the Keyboard (on new Alu Macbook)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB467LL: 2.4MHz Intel Intel Core 2 Duo / 2GB DDR3 SDRAM / 250GB Hard Drive / SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
Hi,

My 1.5 yrs old daughter alway try to press some key when I leave my macbook with any appliation running on it :) . Is there a way to lock/freeze the keyboard (I dont want to run any screensaver, because I need to monitor the application running). Please suggest.

Regards,
Nalin

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i had the same problem with my 4 year old a while back and my 1 year old recently. a few realy short, sharp, loud "NO!"s when they get close to it and they don't even bother with it any more.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB467LL: 2.4MHz Intel Intel Core 2 Duo / 2GB DDR3 SDRAM / 250GB Hard Drive / SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW
Hi:

My 1.5 yrs old daughter alway try to press some key when I leave my macbook with any appliation running on it :) . Is there a way to lock/freeze the keyboard (I dont want to run any screensaver, because I need to monitor the application running). Please suggest.

Regards... Nalin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Uhm......teach your daughter not to touch your computer?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Appricate any valuable input…

Appricate any valuable input…

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. This s/w puts a blank-black screen on the desktop and we can't really see the application running on the background.

Any other pointer/inputs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Training your child is far more important than any computer app.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does seem like you're trying to cure a behavioral problem with a technical solution. My kids, one 8 months and the other 3.5 both know that Daddy's laptop is a "NO zone".

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Training your child is far more important than any computer app.

bingo.

and your own behavior too.

i have a cat that drinks out of water glasses all the time. i have trained myself not to leave them out where she can knock them over. my wife on the other hand stubbornly refuses to learn to correct her behavior to deal with what is essentially a non-alterable behavior in the cat. result, constant spills on the furniture and floor.
perhaps your relationship with your daughter is something you need to change to suit the situation.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, wouldn't recommend a fix that allows the continuation of inappropriate behavior. Some things are not toys. Do you have the same compunction teaching not to touch a hot pan that just came off the stove?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boss: I understand/agree/appreciate your thoughts.

But we are deviating from the main topic: "I need a program to lock/freeze the keyboard". Do you have one? If yes- then please share (but pls dont throw more suggestions on "inappropriate behavior" etc etc, its an on going process and it will definitely improve- NO DOUBT THERE). This is a technical forum and I expect a technical answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Leave it to mac-forums for somebody to come for a technical question and we respond with parenting advice!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boss: I understand/agree/appreciate your thoughts.

But we are deviating from the main topic: "I need a program to lock/freeze the keyboard". Do you have one? If yes- then please share (but pls dont throw more suggestions on "inappropriate behavior" etc etc, its an on going process and it will definitely improve- NO DOUBT THERE). This is a technical forum and I expect a technical answer.

But it's not a technical forum, nor is it a technical problem. We are a Mac-using community, that just happens to provide assistance with troubleshooting technical problems. If your oven was on and your child was approach it, would you blame the oven for doing what it was supposed to do, or would you teach your child that it was dangerous and not to go near it?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But it's not a technical forum, nor is it a technical problem. We are a Mac-using community, that just happens to provide assistance with troubleshooting technical problems. If your oven was on and your child was approach it, would you blame the oven for doing what it was supposed to do, or would you teach your child that it was dangerous and not to go near it?

Once again thanks for "Parenting advice". Please leave this for someone who can give a pointer to some software/program.

ALL: PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR TIME IN REPLYING WITH A "Parenting Advice" because- as I said earlier "I understand/agree/appreciate all Parenting Advice", BUT I'M LOOKING FOR A SOFTWARE/PROGRAM. DO U HAVE ANY- IF YES- THEN PLEASE SHARE.

Reaction score
As someone who is studying Psychology with strong emphasis on child psychology:

1. At 1.5 years old, children at that age are not developed enough to understand the reasoning behind the "no-zone" or an "ok-zone." Be careful how you reinforce this, they may have some negative repercussions.

2. The OP asked for technical advice, not how to raise his child.

I'm being very polite about this.

OP, I do not think a program is available, to my knowledge, that can do this. Perhaps your only option is to make it less accessible.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
As someone who is studying Psychology with strong emphasis on child psychology:

1. At 1.5 years old, children at that age are not developed enough to understand the reasoning behind the "no-zone" or an "ok-zone." Be careful how you reinforce this, they may have some negative repercussions.

people in school always have all the answers...

as someone who also studied a bit of psych and has a couple kids and was raised with countless younger siblings and cousins, i respectfully disagree.

Reaction score
people in school always have all the answers...

as someone who also studied a bit of psych and has a couple kids and was raised with countless younger siblings and cousins, i respectfully disagree.

I respect your opinion sir. ;)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i remember this one thing from a long time ago, when i was in college a friend of mine had a baby, and when she was almost a year and a half she took to biting. her mother, my friend was the quiet "no, we don't do that" type; and while gentle coaxing certainly has it's place, it's not effective in all circumstances, and as bobtomay alluded to above, a hot stove or pan is not going to gently coax a child away from itself.
she bit me once.
once.
i yelled "NO". she looked like she'd been smacked, ran about 10 feet away and cried, then looked over her shoulder to see if anyone was looking and ready to coddle her. since her mother seemed curious to see how this would turn out, she didn't intervene, she just watched. her daughter "cried" for a couple more minutes until she figured out no one was coming to her and we'd all gone back to doing whatever we were doing. soon, she was back by me playing and having fun, and not biting me. though she did try it on a few other people. she knew the difference between biting the man who would yell at her for doing that and biting her mom who would gently say no and then coddle her when she got upset for being "scolded". it was an attention move, she was smart enough to know it and smart enough to know when not to do it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aside from the keyboard cleaning app, I have not found another that locks the keyboard whilst displaying running apps.

I think the OP has gotten the point of the behavior modification comments, so let's keep it to apps that lock the keyboard - if no one has anything else, be aware that the point has been made and we don't need anymore parenting commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.