Duplicate songs and more!

Reaction score
New here but I have a question.

I am running out of hard drive space. In an effort to diagniose the problem I downloaded, Disk Inventory and Tidy Up!. Using DU i discovered I have 50GB's of music! Half MP3, and half m4a. Most of these songs are duplicates seeing as I only have 24GB's of music on iTunes.

I used Tidy Up to discover what songs were duplicates and theres alot. I keep my iTunes very organized. In my iTunes I have a mix of MP3 and m4a. I can't just delete the songs from Tidy Up! because I don't know what format the songs are in itunes. How can I get rid of these songs!

Also, if I move the files from my computer onto a external can I still listen to it on Itunes?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14" 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1GB DDR SDRAM/1st Gen 4GB Nano/2nd Gen 8GB Nano
First question. When on itunes select song then go to file>get info then it will show all info about the song and at the bottom it say "Where" it shows where the file is and wat type of file its is at the very end.

Second question. Yes, you can move them onto a external hardrive but if you do you will probably get a msg saying "cannot locate file" if so just find it on your external hardrive im not sure if you will have to do everytime you unplug your external hardrive

if you have a laptop and take it places and you also have the kind of external harddrive that needs to be pluged in to and outlet then in my opinion its not worth it.

hope this helped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can easily transfer your iTunes libabry to an external drive

Keeping your iTunes collection on an external

The following assumes you want to keep all your iTunes music and movies on an external disk and ensure new music is always stored on the external drive.

First, you need to consolidate your iTunes Library to a folder you have chosen on the external drive.

Select the command consolidate library from the Advanced Menu. This will copy all your iTunes media to the external folder and link the iTunes library file to it

The files will now be on the external while the library.xml file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Me > Music folder of your mac.

If you want this file on the external as well as well, copy it to external iTunes folder, start itunes with the alt key pressed and you will have the option to select the library file now on the external

Select the library file you just copied and now both your music and the library are on the external

You can now delete the old iTunes folder off your mac

You can also use the choose library dialogue to switch between a large music collection on the external and a smaller music folder on the mac if you wish

For a smart way to manage duplicares try Dupin from the excellent Doug's Applescripts site

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Dupin - iTunes Duplicates Manager - v1.4.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.