Mac slow

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Just out of curiosity, which trojan was it?

Also, a note of advice. As you travel on the web, if you're ever prompted to install a plug-in, make sure you understand exactly what it is, that you trust the source it's coming from and why it's needed. If you're prompted to enter your password, be especially wary. Although there still are no viruses for OS X (and a trojan is not a virus), there are a few trojans - but they can be easily avoided just by being judicious about what you're installing.

The file was downloaded off of torrents and it was called "Total Video Converter 3.14 [SDK]". Since I didn't fully understand where it should go and dragging it into the application folder, I did exactly what it asked me to do.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The reference I found for that 'SDK' was that it is a Windows application!

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Some more software related problems (I believe):

If I enter in a wrong password on my log in, the screen will go black and stay black. I need to close the lid then re-open it.

Suddenly a couple of my applications became question marks on the dock. IDK what this is about.

Still running fairly hot I believe, and being a memory hog.

Can anyone with the same MB (2.1ghz, 1gb of ram) check how much ram their using just at idle? Thanks

On a brighter note, I picked up a Mighty Mouse today, along with iWork '08 and loved it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
I don't really understand what you have done, but something isn't right. The fact that you have been attempting to install pirated windows software suggests to me that you are not too picky about what you are putting on your mac.
(FYI - If you want a video converter try Handbrake - its free)

The first thing I would do is check what you have running on log in and remove it from the list.

Install AppCleaner (its free - no need to pirate it!).

Use it to get rid of the rubbish like limewire (which is probably loading at login) - anything that is non essential should go in my opinion. You can always re install later.

And if you still have problems I'd suggest a reinstall - back up your data and re install from scratch.

Reaction score
@Andy348

You said you installed "a lot" of software "recently" and that your Mac ran much faster before. Don't you sort of see the correlation there?

Reaction score
Sorry I cant offer any advice, I was really hoping you could tell me what widget you are using for your cpu, degrees, memory, ect. I just switched from pc and really miss windows task manager with my stats. Thanks and sorry for not being any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.