Mapping network drives over wireless

Reaction score
Hi

I'm fairly new to Macs and have a question. I have a small home network consisting of amongst other things a number of pc's one Macbook and a Linksys NAS. In the world of Windows I have had the My Documents folder located on the NAS. Each of my pc's has been configured to refer to this networked folder.

I'm in the process of retiring my pc's in favour of more Macs and would like to achieve the same functionality: the user home directory on the NAS and each of the Macs referring to that folder when logging in. I have successfully moved my Mac home folder. However when I start my Macbook it doesn't find the home folder on the NAS because the wireless network doesn't connect until I've actually logged in.

For information I have not configured any kind of network drive mapping other than the NAS being automatically picked up in finder.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

CS

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The home folder does a bit more than just store your documents. It stores all of your user settings in addition. It's similar to c:\documents and settings\<username> in Windows. A closer analogue in OS X would be your Home\Documents folder. I suppose what you could do is create a Documents folder on your NAS, then right-click and make an alias for it. Then, copy the alias to your Home folder. Anything stored in that folder would then be accessed from the alias.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.