refurb pro or new macbook?

Reaction score
Hi folks -

I'm looking for some advice on chosing a new laptop. I'm writing on a 6 or 7 year old iMac and we've just killed our 5 year old iBook.

I've got a budget of <$1400. The two choices that I'm agonizing between are a new Macbook 2.0 GHz w/ 4GB RAM (which with my higher ed discount comes in at $1389) and a refurbished Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz w/ 2 GB RAM ($1349). Most computationally intensive task we'll likely do is manage about 5000 pics in iphoto.

My instinct is to go for more RAM. My dad is of the opinion that the processor speed and other features make the pro worth sacrificing the RAM.

What are your thoughts?

Jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iSight, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2GB, 160GB HD.
Personally, go for the new MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1Ghz 1.5GB RAM 160GB HDD 10.5 Leopard
I'd go for the refurb Macbook Pro.

It's better in every way imaginable: Bigger screen, faster processor, faster graphics card (to my knowledge), and you can always bump up the RAM later to match the Macbook at 4GB.

You may not need all the power now, but it will last longer.
The only downside will be a more "dated" machine and less trackpad functionality.

Please let us know your final choice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I would go with the refurbished pro. It might be an older machine but its much more formidable than the base new macbook. Its not quite as flashy but It will last longer(most Likely).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I had a similar choice two months ago ~ New MacBook or previous version MacBook Pro.
Bought the MacBook Pro and couldn't be happier. I'll double the Ram later .

Reaction score
If the amount of ram is what making you choose the MB, i'd say go with the MBP. It has better specs and later on you can upgrade it to 4gb with ease, plus DDR2 prices gonna be dropping from time to time.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Never buy a computer today based on the amount of RAM it has.

Just purchased 4GB Corsair CAS4 RAM for $35. Here is a Crucial 4GB kit for $37.

Want to upgrade the processor and video card in that MB - not possible.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am well convinced to go with the Pro. I appreciate the help!

Jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
Not telling you to buy one or the other but I think upgrading the RAM on the Macbook Pro to 4gb would be under 100 dollars on crucial. So I wouldn't really be so much concerned about the RAM as to which machine you would rather work with and carry around. Try them both out and see which you like better.

Hope this helps ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.