Broken iPhone Advice on New One

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Hi All,

I dropped my 1st gen iPhone in the snow on my last ski trip and it is slowly but surely losing its features. I know I have some serious water damage because meaningless tasks like turning the phone off and on causes serious issues. I am fine with this and understand it is time for a new phone.

So, I am trying to decide what to do. I have a couple questions.

1.) If I buy a 1st gen, unopened iPhone on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. can I just swap out my SIM card like another phone and be good to go after 'Activating' via iTunes? Will I encounter any issues later with updates etc?

2.) If I buy a 1st gen, opened iPhone that someone has used/Activated and then pop in my SIM card, will I be good to go if I do the same as question 1? If not, why? Is 'Activation' more than activation of the SIM card?

3.) If I buy a 3G iPhone online, and then I take it home and open it up, how can i keep my old number? Also, if I upgrade to 3G contract via ATT will there be any issues using a 3G iphone online for this? again, if I buy a used one, are there any things I should be aware of?

4.) Also, if I buy a 'Jailbroken' iPhone I can Restore it in iTunes and it will be like new right? I'll still be able to update and everything via apple?

5.) I should avoid phones selling with 'Unlocked' mentioned correct? You can't go back to factory once you have unlocked as I understand it.

Thanks,

jdgti

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
You can always restore it back to factory. I'd your on AT&T just don't worry about looking for an unlocked phone.

You should have no problem with syncing iTunes, just pop In your current sim and go

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Thanks!

Question, with 'unlocked' iPhones, should I be worried about anything with them? If i just sync it up and activate it through iTunes I won't have a problem using it or getting upgrades or keeping my current number?

Also, with 3G ones, can I just pop my sim card in and use a 3G one as 2G until I get the money to upgrade my contract?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.