Dual Cinema display setup help!

Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm new on here and wondered if you could help me out with a problem. I edit on a Power Mac G5 with a 20" Cinema display hooked up via an ATI Radeon 9800 graphics card (one DVI input, one VGA).

I have just bought a second 20" cinema display which I would like to hook up, however my card only has one DVI slot. Is it possible to connect the monitor using a VGA-DVI adapter such as the one listed below:

DVI Adapter - Analog - DVI Female to HD 15 Male - Computer Cable Makers Inc.

OR, is that just completely ridiculous, considering it would be putting a digital signal through an analogue slot (I assume that is what VGA is)? :Oops:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Kind regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hi Craig,

The connector you are looking at is for converting a DVI socket to a VGA one to use a CRT (or analogue TFT) monitor. I'm not sure if the cinema display will understand a VGA signal, so check the manual/spec to see if it would be compatible as the connector will not convert the analogue signal to a digital one.

I've got a ATi Radeon 9650 XT in mine and that has 2x DVI ports though, so you may need to look for another card as the worst case scenario.

Sure someone will chime in soon with an answer though. :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Many thanks

Thank you very much for the quick reply! I'll keep my fingers crossed for more info.

Take care

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.