Bottom case replacement

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Anyone replaced this part themselves? How hard is it?

I have built a couple hundred Win boxes, but have never delved inside a notebook except to replace the hard drive in this one.

Have found the case for $200-240 or send it off and have it replaced for $300-340. Have not found any directions yet if I want to do it myself. Ifixit classifies this one as 'very difficult'. Is the $100 worth it or is it just a 2 hour job? (assuming I can find some fairly clear directions)

edit: Well, I found the directions at iFixit. Looks to me like it's well worth the $100 which includes a warranty unless I'm just broke. Now, can I do without it for a week or more?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What happened to it, Tom?

I'd check out TechRestore as they have 24 hour service. Also, you might want to PM member MacService as I know they've helped out quite a few members here.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When I was on vacation, had it sitting on the back seat. Twice, I had to slam on the brakes, which naturally sent it careening off the seat onto the floor board. Now I have a dent, one on each side of the case right on the bottom edge. Even cracked the spec case on one side. (Yeah, I know. Always takes me twice to learn not to do something. It doesn't slide in the back seat of my car.)

Nothing wrong with the machine. I was ready after two years to get a new one. But after benchmarking it the other night and comparing to the Ars Technica review of the latest, looks like I'll be more than satisfied with this thing for maybe another couple of years. Everything else still looks brand new. Those two dings just kind of remind me if my incompetence.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dings and scratches give it character! :D

But seriously, I'd personally just replace it myself. I think ifixit rates it difficult because literally EVERYTHING will need to come out. But with some time and patience, it shouldn't be that bad. Of course, as busy as we all are, it might be worth it just to give someone else $100 to do it.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thinking I may call the Apple store and see what they charge. Pretty sure I could do it, but after reading through the steps, it'd be worth the $100 to me if I could schedule the repair to take it in and pick it back up the same day.

Not sure I could go a week without it though for round trip freight and repair, as this is the only computer I use at home. Kind of dread the idea of needing to use my Win machine that really hasn't even been turned on this year.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thinking I may call the Apple store and see what they charge. Pretty sure I could do it, but after reading through the steps, it'd be worth the $100 to me if I could schedule the repair to take it in and pick it back up the same day.

Not sure I could go a week without it though for round trip freight and repair, as this is the only computer I use at home. Kind of dread the idea of needing to use my Win machine that really hasn't even been turned on this year.

I have a feeling the Apple Store would rob you blind. That SuperDrive replacement that I had done under warranty was actually priced at $369. That drive mechanism is worth maybe $200 and the labor is less than an hour. So, they're definitely salty. It might be worth it just to do the TechRestore overnight service. You'd have it back in a couple of days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB, 320GB HD
I just replaced the bottom case on my 2.4 MBP yesterday using the guide at iFixit. Took me just a little over 3 hours total, about 2 to take apart. I methodically labeled the screws and didn't have any left over when I got it put back together. Local repair shop quoted me $200 labor and $169 parts. I found a used case for $99, so I saved myself $270. There were a few things that were different on my 2.4 from the guide, they used a 2.16 to build the guide, mostly connections in different places. If you are patient and can follow instructions, this is not that hard of a job. You save some $$$ and you can correctly apply high-quality thermal paste to the CPU & GPU and lower your internal temps some.

Reaction score
I just replaced the bottom case on my 2.4 MBP yesterday using the guide at iFixit. Took me just a little over 3 hours total, about 2 to take apart. I methodically labeled the screws and didn't have any left over when I got it put back together. Local repair shop quoted me $200 labor and $169 parts. I found a used case for $99, so I saved myself $270. There were a few things that were different on my 2.4 from the guide, they used a 2.16 to build the guide, mostly connections in different places. If you are patient and can follow instructions, this is not that hard of a job. You save some $$$ and you can correctly apply high-quality thermal paste to the CPU & GPU and lower your internal temps some.

I'm about to do the same job on my 17" 2.4, except I'm replacing my top case as well. The 2.16 guide is the only one I've found so far, and I'm a bit nervous about tackling the job considering the differences in the machines, as you mention above. Any specific advice you or anyone else may have on the differences/job in general would be greatly appreciated. I'm replacing the keyboard as well. TIA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.