Dialup Modem won't disconnect

C

camino1

From time to time I have to restart because the modem gets stuck in the "disconnect" mode. Is there an alternative to restarting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Can you do a force quit?

OP
C

camino1

It doesn't work. I have even tried to logout and back in after a force quit attempt, but I still have tp restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow very strange.. have you tried an apple kbase search on your problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry.. kbase means Knowledge Base it used to be where apple had their support documents.. now you can go here http://www.info.apple.com/ and do a search on your problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds like you have a bad modem.. or you need to change your connection script.. which you'll have to ask someone else about that one, because I have done it, but I am most definitely not good at it.. Is this the default modem or did you put it in yourself? If it is the default modem I would talk to your Apple dealer and see what can be done.

Cheers!

OP
C

camino1

It is the internal modem that came with the PowerBook G4. Do you think it would help if I just changed, say, from v.90 to v.92?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess is... possible.. I don't know for sure though.. it's worth trying..

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Don't think you can change out the modem on the Powerbook. I think it is part of the main/mother board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahh ok well there you go! :)

OP
C

camino1

I think I found a solution at macsonly.com

Fixes for Apple Modem Disconnect Issue: Some of Apple's computers, if not all by now, use a software internal modem which has a severe disconnect issue with the Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.90) script at least since Mac OS X 10.2.4, if not earlier. The issue is that the modem unexpectedly hangs up almost immediately after making what appears to be a solid connection. We have had that problem with our PowerBook G4 800 since we got it last June and we still have it with Mac OS X 10.2.5 which once again installed duplicate sets of modem scripts, the source of our problem.

One workaround that has worked for us is to select the Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.34) script instead of the v.90 script. Doing this reduces the maximum connection speed to 33.6K but that is of no concern in many places where only a 24-33.6K connection can be made anyway--many motel rooms.

We have another solution that works for us and it retains the 56K (actually 53K) potential connection speed. We found this solution on a forum/list somewhere last year. First note that there are two Modem Scripts folders, one in in the root Library folder and another in the System->Library folder. The latter only has the three Apple Internal 56K Modem scripts for v.34, v.90 and v.92. The former has many modem scripts, including the very same three Apple Internal 56K Modem scripts for v.34, v.90 and v.92. The solution that works for us is:
1. Make another folder at the drive's root level (we named it "ExtraModemScripts"),

2. Move the three scripts from the Library->Modem Scripts folder (not the System->Library->Mdeom Scripts folder) to the new folder,

3. Reboot,
4. Reselect the Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.90) script in the System Preferences Networking preference panel under the Modem tab and click the "Apply" button. If the (v.90) is already selected, then select another, click "Apply", reselect it and hit "Apply".

Try it, it worked for us on every Mac OS X update, including 10.2.5. The just-released 10.2.6 does not install new modem scripts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Would you happen to be running any Norton firewall software?

OP
C

camino1

No Norton here. That was one issue that was proposed during my search, though.

OP
B

bungee2000

I have had this problem for a long time now in my older G3 tower and now the new G5. The G3 did not have a modem built in and had a USB isdn connection, which I thought to be the culprit, but another model different manufacturer does exactly the same. And only a restart will shift it.

We have another solution that works for us and it retains the 56K (actually 53K) potential connection speed. We found this solution on a forum/list somewhere last year. First note that there are two Modem Scripts folders, one in in the root Library folder and another in the System->Library folder. The latter only has the three Apple Internal 56K Modem scripts for v.34, v.90 and v.92. The former has many modem scripts, including the very same three Apple Internal 56K Modem scripts for v.34, v.90 and v.92. The solution that works for us is:
1. Make another folder at the drive's root level (we named it "ExtraModemScripts"),

2. Move the three scripts from the Library->Modem Scripts folder (not the System->Library->Mdeom Scripts folder) to the new folder,

3. Reboot,
4. Reselect the Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.90) script in the System Preferences Networking preference panel under the Modem tab and click the "Apply" button. If the (v.90) is already selected, then select another, click "Apply", reselect it and hit "Apply".

Try it, it worked for us on every Mac OS X update, including 10.2.5. The just-released 10.2.6 does not install new modem scripts.[/QUOTE]

OP
B

bungee2000

Had the problem with Jaguar on the G3 and now Panther on the G5 OS X10.3.2
So my best guess is it is a bug in internet connect that has moved with the upgrade?
Just need to find a definitive answer as to cause and solution.

OP
S

sk8rdi16

I am also having this problem with a beige G3 running 10.2.8, and an external viking modem.

any fixes????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.