• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

dvi questions

Reaction score
Hello all,

ok so yea im a tool and make fun of me later but... my mini dvi jack on my macbook os does that work for a video in. Or is it simply a monitor out to view whats on my mac on an external monitor??? The reason I ask is i have a real hard job where i have alot of downtime. I want to play my xbox thru my mac. I've seen several postings and think i found 2 solutions. The solution i like would require a vga /dvi adapter no biggie. But i need to know if that mini dvi in is just that "AN IN" not an out. GOT ME??? The other solution is getting this generic piece of crap from australia on EBAY for 40.00 bux It says it works for mac and can plug in. i GUESS THIS WILL WORK BUT STILL WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER OPTION. SO IS THAT DVI IN AN IN?

USB VIDEO CAPTURE CARD MAC OS X VHS to DVD Converter - eBay (item 200289729261 end time Dec-20-08 22:49:29 PST)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The mini-DVI port is for video out only.

To input, you'll need some sort of USB device. Usually TV tuners have this option. Elgato includes software with its tuners that improves the quality of gaming (gaming via tuners usually tends to have some sort of lag).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is a generic piece of junk - can get it on amazon here for $12-14. And the overall reviews are not good. (Although a couple of the reviewers were not exactly the brightest kids on the block.)

Would 2nd Kash's recommendation to go with an ElGato device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The reason why that dongle sucks is because it comes with no software. Sure, your Mac will be accepting whatever input is coming through that connection, but with no software to interpret it, it's essentially useless. This is why TV tuners are the best for what you're looking for as they have software that essentially mimics a television, and TVs know exactly what to do with the input coming from a gaming console.

OP
drshakegonzo
Reaction score
thanks for the info. I'd like to check out those elgato products but their site sucks ballz. I transfer to the north american site to view their products and it displays nothing. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! HOW MUCH ARE THESE ELGATO TV TUNERS? HOW MUCH WE TALKIN? I just need something basic here. I don't want to spend another 100. bux to play video games. MICROSOFT has already robbed enough loot from me and continue to do it annually just to play online. So if i get that generic thing from amazon is my mac gonna be able to view it w/out software. I MEAN IS THE **** THING GONNA WORK or what. I'm exhausted already w/ this. I appreciate your guys help tho. I'm just frustrated i just want something cheap that i can view my xbox on my screen of my macbook at work w/out luggin a friggin tv in here and lookin all suspect! hahah THANKS AGAIN ANY MORE ADVICE IS SOOOO WELCOME

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.