iphone vs blackberry

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know I am probably asking for trouble here as this is obviously a Mac site but I would love to get opinions.

I was about to get an iphone in the next few days. But a friend started telling me about the Blackberry, which I have never considered before, and its sounds pretty good. I haven never really looked at them and I know I could check it out on the internet but just wondered if anyone had maybe used both or had looked at the pros and cons of both before?

The other thing I wondered was if I was to get the iphone now, how likely wil it be that they will unveil another better model in 6 months or so. Have there been any rumours or news?

Thanks very much for any info/help! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Blacberries in general are very nice email devices. They work as a smartphone too, but traditionally, multimedia has been a weak area. The latest Blackberry Storm is supposed to solve that problem and it looks very nice, but I've read quite a few negative reviews, most of them centered around the clickable screen. In particular, it seems that you have to click and release before you can click another letter, so two-handed entry is difficult. I was seriously considering a Storm before it was released because I'm on Verizon and very happy with their network, but I think I'm going to wait for the next revision before making the jump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unless you're firing off a lot of emails or simply need a tactile keyboard, I would stay away from Blackberry if you're just a casual user. The iPhone is far better suited for normal everyday people. Now if you're considering the latest Blackberry Storm with the touch screen, then I would recommend you stay far far away as it is nowhere near being on par with the iPhone in terms of features and usability.

As for when the next iPhone will be released, nobody knows for certain. However, if we go by past release dates, then it's likely that we'll see a new version in summer 2009.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
For work (loads of e-mails) I would have nothing else than a BlackBerry, for private use nothing else than an iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD
I have the Blackberry Storm and although it has software issues, its still a good device. I new update is expected in a month or so which is suppose to solve a lot of issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I have used macs and blackberries for years, I am biased to them but you do have to either be someonethat will use mobile websites as well as lots of emailing and blackberry apps for you to really get the fullusage from. A blackberry.

I took the leap last week to get an iPhone 3g, it's a great devic, easy to use for a mac user like myself and I tend to find more things I can do on here rather then the blackberry.

Both devices sync uptothe macs and windows computers, and have free apps for both devices as well.

Best thing to do is to in the store and play with both, see what one you like better, it's all personal preferance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
If you do a lot of mobile email work, Blackberry is second to none. However, the internet browsing experience on the Blackberry leaves much to be desired. If email is your big concern, go with the Blackberry. If you're looking for a rich multimedia experience, check out the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Sweet congrats on the new device!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
I was teetering between the BB Storm and the iPhone. I was a Verizon customer for over 8 years, but the Storm kept on being delayed. So, I took the plunge and got an iPhone 3G. I'm happy I did. The only quirk is that on occassion Safari crashes, but I found this only happens when I am viewing one particular website. Unfortunately, it is another forum website that I can not stay away from. I had hoped it would be addressed in the last update, but some of the Safari issues were addressed. I did have to get a repalcement iPhone after the update, due to a large number of dropped calls. Since the replacement, I have not dropped any calls (knocks on wood).

Overall, I'm very happy with my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2.0gHz, 2GB RAM, Leopard
I had Verizon for seven years before switching to AT&T to get the iPhone. I hate the service but I love the phone.

Then when I saw commercials for the new Blackberry Storm, I wondered why they didn't come out with it sooner so I could have stayed with Verizon. Well, my mom stayed with Verizon and so did one of the guys I live with. They both got the Storm and they both like my iPhone better. That's three votes for the iPhone, none for the Storm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
+1 to what everyone has said here already.

I would add that in my experience the call quality on a BB is superior to the iPhone. Maybe it's because I'm nearly deaf and the you can crank up the call volume on the BB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've played with the storm and it has a lot of issues. Navigation is really slow compared to the iPhone as well as the browser (for things like zooming in on a page). Even though the Storm has a higher res screen, the video playback on the iPhone is much better. People say the storm has a lot of basic features the iPhone lacks, but the storm is lacking certain basics as well like wifi (and is it even 3G?) Stereo bluetooth I can do without unless someone finally makes bluetooth headphones I would actually use in public. The click screen is terrible and slows down typing a lot: a solution to a problem that never existed. I've never found the lack of tactile response on my iPhone to be problematic. Also Apple's App Store will be superior to anything Blackberry puts out for a long time.

All in all the Storm is a good device and a good option for people stuck with Verizon, but the iPhone is still the champ IMHO despite its continuing lack of standard features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
I've been a Blackberry user for years. I tried the iPhone for a week and couldn't stand that AT&T service (dropped called, no service in areas I normally had no problem with when I had Verizon, etc.) I agree that when purchasing a phone, you have to decide how you plan to use it. Heavy email users-definitely get a Blackberry, it's one place where Blackberry shines. For those who like lots of apps and multimedia-get an iPhone. I loved the iPhone, but like the Blackberry Storm better for my needs.

Reaction score
Not saying that either is perfect but i have heard so many problems with the blackberry and they have to be half the community of apple!

Reaction score
I'm with NickInLondon -- I'll be facing the BBerry vs iPhone decision again in a couple months, but BBerry has the lead for now because what I use it for mostly is email when I'm out of the office. Web browsing isn't worth the hassle on a BBerry, IMO, which is a real shame.

The problem with the iPhone is the ****ed touch keyboard that can't be turned landscape for email. If they fix that soon, it may be worth it. I just cannot type email quickly/accurately on the portrait-oriented iPhone keyboard (and I hear this from most of my business colleagues that got the iPhone to replace their BBerry's). That and the limited battery life makes the iPhone a lesser choice for business use.

Reaction score
Not sure about the Blackberry's capabilities but one disappointing element to the iphone is the inability to handle email attachments efficiently. I love my iphone, but as a designer I need to look received on forward drawings on "the fly" all the time. Hope they fix this issue or their competitors are going to walk all over them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure about the Blackberry's capabilities but one disappointing element to the iphone is the inability to handle email attachments efficiently. I love my iphone, but as a designer I need to look received on forward drawings on "the fly" all the time. Hope they fix this issue or their competitors are going to walk all over them.

No doubt, the Blackbery is a more efficient email device. Another major shortcoming is the lack of cut and paste, which didn't seem to be a big deal before I owned an iPod Touch - but it's annoying when you need to accomplish so many different work-related tasks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I had a BB Curve during my short stint with Verizon. I really didn't get how it was so great for email, though. It didn't do HTML email or handle IMAP folder syncing out of the box, and pretty much stuffed every message in the same place whether it was SMS or email. I didn't feel like paying $30 just to be able to view HTML emails, either. Can the Storm at least do these things out of the box?

Reaction score
As of OS release 4.5, HTML email can be viewed. SMS can also be separated from email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.