• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

BBC Player download is here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Great for all us UK users.

The beta of the new BBC iPlayer desktop is here, now Mac and Linux users can watch BBC programs offline

You can sign up at the iPlayer labs BBC iPlayer - Labs

Firstly my Mac is way under spec for the iPlayer Desktop, G4 733 Mhz 10.4.11 1 gig RAM (latest versions of Safari and Firefox), but I have got it all working.

First problem I found after installation was that any download link went back to the installation page, which told me I already had iPlayer installed, then nothing - no download.

Went in to Safari and set Firefox as my default Browser in the preferences. Now I could download programs fine using Firefox.

Next, downloaded Dr Who episode and would play (progress bar moves) but no picture or sound. Downloaded the latest Flash Player for OS X and cured the problem.

Playback on this mac is seriously choppy, but that is this old Mac, will work fine no doubt on a new Macbook I will buy in feb

Thanks to the BBC for getting out a cross platform download player, I hope to use it when the new mac arrives, until then I will stick to streaming video on this old machine

Just thought this info might help somebody

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Thanks, been waiting for this. Will download and try later on my iBook G4 1.2 ghz

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Thanks for the heads up on that! :)

I don't see why they are only valid for 30 days though if they are fully downloaded to your HDD. Also, is the video quality better running from the app than streaming on 'High Quality' mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Yep, working well, thanks.
The only thing is, the BBC say it's for Intel only - that's not the case as I have it installed on a G4 with no problems.

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They say intel, but the download app is a Unversal Binary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.