MBP lacks audio keys.. how do u skip tracks in itunes?

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to advance to the next track in itunes while itunes is NOT on front of the screen.

I listen to itunes while studying everyday and it irritates me to have to keep bringing itunes to the front of the screen every time i want to change tracks.

if there is a way to do this in leopard i'd love for some help.. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I usually use the remote to advance tracks.

Alternatively you can mouse down to the dock to right click the icon and select Next wherever you happen to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I don't know if the old MBP's have them but on the late 2008 models there are a selection of media keys of F7, F8 and F9 (Previous Track, Play/Pause, Next Track).
Try something like ctrl + Fx or fn + Fx to see if you get anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I use something called ByteController. It allows you to skip tracks via two methods. One, it puts a few buttons in your menubar at top, and two, you can set keyboard shortcuts that will work regardless of what program is in front of you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I use something called ByteController. It allows you to skip tracks via two methods. One, it puts a few buttons in your menubar at top, and two, you can set keyboard shortcuts that will work regardless of what program is in front of you.
I use ByteController too and really like it..
And.. I'm back!, after a really long absence... - It's been a busy couple of months. I hope to come here regularly again! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's odd, I'm pretty sure both my old, first generation MacBook Pro and my early 2008 model have (or have had) track forward/backward keys. Is it possible that you have this option checked in Keyboard & Mouse preferences:

2008-12-21_1540.png

If so, the track forward/backward keys will only work when you use them in tandem with the Fn key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There's also a Dashboard widget to control iTunes.

Or you could press and hold (or control-click, or secondary click) the iTunes icon, and select "Next."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That's odd, I'm pretty sure both my old, first generation MacBook Pro and my early 2008 model have (or have had) track forward/backward keys. Is it possible that you have this option checked in Keyboard & Mouse preferences:

2008-12-21_1540.png

If so, the track forward/backward keys will only work when you use them in tandem with the Fn key.
Nope: The older MacBook Pros had a different row of F keys:
Brightness, keyboard brightness, expose (all 3), volume, screen toggle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.