Macbook Pro HD question

Reaction score
So long story short, I'm trying to make sure that the hard drive in my macbook pro (which I bought from someone else, not from a store) is the stock (from the factory) HD and that it wasn't switched out in any way. I have the 15 inch 2.16 Ghz MBP with a 120 GB HD. I know you can look up a lot of information in "About this mac" but I'm not sure what I'm looking for to answer my question and once I find the information I'm not sure what the stock HD information is to compare it to, make sense? Any ideas how I can find all this out? Any ideas would be great, especially those that don't consist of taking the computer apart and actually looking, though if there is a safe way to do that then thats ok too. Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I don't believe there is going to be a way to know that drive was the original drive shipped with it or not. Apple uses several different drives. The original could have died the first month and been replaced under warranty with another drive from Apple.

Not really sure why it would matter in any case whether it was the original as long as it's a functioning drive.

Probably the only way you'll find out, would be to get Apple to provide you with the serial # of the drive that shipped with that unit and compare it to the serial # of the drive you have. That info can be found in About This Mac without opening the machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't know much about computers, I'm learning...you say you're not sure why it would matter as long as it's a functioning HD...aren't there differences though? Some are 5400 rpm, 7200, etc, etc. I suppose I don't care if I know it's the HD that was shipped with it, just want to know its equal in performance, etc.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All Mac notebooks ship with 5400 rpm drives unless you pay for an upgrade. Almost any drive that it could have been replaced with would be at least equal to, if not surpass the speed of the original. This really is a non-issue.

Ask the person you bought it from. Either the original drive failed and had to be replaced or it is the original. There is no reason why anyone would go thru the effort of changing the hard drive in a notebook because they have a spare one that is $5 cheaper than the one inside.

Apple does not use top of the line drives in original equipment notebooks.
You can buy 250GB to 320GB drives all day long for $65-$75.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.