• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD avi file won't play sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
New to macs and iDVD. When I drag and drop an avi file into Magic iDVD, the picture previews and burns ok, but there is no sound. Other avi files are fine, so why not on this avi? If I play the file in on the mac, the sound is fine so I know there is sound in the file. Any help, gratefully received.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you playing the file in Quicktime player when the sound is OK

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
Hi. No sound using Divx or Realplayer but I do get sound using VLC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.5.5,24",Pioneer DVD -RW External Burner
As suggested Perian , also have you tried burning with Toast ? I have a DIVX DVD player , burn a movie in 45 seconds ..... Sweet every time.

Reaction score
TRy installing the Perian codecs for quicktime

Once installed if you can hear sound playing the file in Quicktime player then the file will work in iDVD, since both use the QuickTime codecs

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime® components

Having a similar problem. I installed Perian and the audio works great using quicktime now. When I used Idvd (before installing perian) to burn the .avi to a dvd, the video worked and the audio didn't. Now that i installed perian the audio works on quicktime (where it didn't before). However when I try to play the dvd (which I created pre-perian installation) there is still no audio.

Do I need to burn again?
Use toast to burn?

Thanks much appreciated.

Reaction score
I'm another user with IDVD sound problems

I'm running Leopard and the IDVD that comes with it. I'm trying to burn a video dvd generated from an AVI video (Xvid). Although the preview has sound on the video, the burned dvd only has sound on the menu screens.

Since the preview can play the sound quicktime obviously has a codec it can use. Specifically, I'm using the quicktime codecs from divxmovies

http://download.divxmovies.com/XVIDDelegateMacOSX.sit (redirects xvid to divx)

http://download.divxmovies.com/DivXInstaller.dmg (the divx codec)

I don't get why the preview in iDVD plays sound but the burn doesn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.