• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't Play AVI files

Reaction score
I had a few videos from my webcam off of my PC desktop, it was a Logitech webcam. They work fine on the PC, the open up in the programs and are viewable. I took them to my Macbook, and they will not play at all, I've tried every which way to play them and downloaded many different things I've searched online, and nothing seems to work. On my Mac, when I open it in Quicktime, the picture is black and no sound. I even downloaded Windows Media Player on my Mac to see if it worked since it worked on my PC, but i didn't work.
Is there anyway that I can convert this avi file from my webcam to another format that will play it? And if it's not possible to do it on my Mac, is there anyway to do it on my PC(Windows XP)?
Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
The reason the it wont play on the mac is you need an app called Flip4Mac this will give quicktime the information it needs to play the file. The other and better alternative for the player is VLC Media Player. VLC is open source and plays just about what ever you can throw at it, very good and I use it on both my Mac and my PC.

As for the video converstion I'm sorry I dont know of any but I am sure someone round here wil!

Good Luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Flip4Mac is actually for Windows Media files. To play other video formats, you'll need the Perian codec pack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
Ah, My mistake I got both packs at the same time and got confused - thanks for putting my straight on that one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.