Newbie software issues

Reaction score
Hi,

Probably a daft question but I've just bought a macbook with Iworks after having used Window's based PC's for the last age. I thought that Pages could open word documents but I can't open anything. I haven't tried opening a Word 2007 doc yet only Word 97. Is Pages only compatible with Word 2003 versions onwards?

Thanks for any help,
Best regards,
Martin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
iWork08 Pages will open Word *.DOC files Word 97 thru Word 2003. It will also save in that format, not by default though.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo Black MacBook
also notice that word will save documents as .docx

this caused a few problems for me last semester when sending documents to professors and friends who were on windows machines.

You can solve this problem easily by saving it as a .doc (almost everyone can open this file type) (prevents some un needed hassle)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Myspace chat

I'm really new to Mac. Wife bought a MBP for Christmas. I really want to get the best out of it. Starting with that, I would like to use myspace chat...yahoo bites! How do I get it to download and work? I downloaded it, but a box with - what can only be described as Russian symbols comes up. How do I get it to work? Please help me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Is there a Mac version of Myspace Chat? If there is, and that's what you downloaded, you might have a corrupt download. Try downloading it again.

If there isn't a Mac version, check out Adium - Download a free multi client Mac chat application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
My Space

I just downloaded Adium. I'll see how it works. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.