G4 no DVD read?

Reaction score
I have a G4 with 1.25GB of ram recently installed (new 1GB board). I am trying to update to Leopard. The drive does not seem to recognize DVD's. I can play CD's, I used to be able to watch DVD's. But now even the kid's hunky and spunky Cartoon DVD will not play. I tried loading my original disk for software install and it seemed to load OK. It even had a little DVD on the disc icon.
Any ideas? The final goal is to be able to load tunes into my daughters ipod.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply louis. It is the "gumdrop" style MAC. I was hoping thjere was some sort of software error. We really only need to install the Leopard software as I don't watch movies on it.. The computer still reads CD's just fine. Would the external drive you mentioned work for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I second Louishen's advice. The 116D is the latest ATA optical drive from Pioneer. I've very recently bought a 115D, and it works flawlessly in an external enclosure. You could put a 116D directly into your G4 but a firmware update *may* be necessary.

OP
D
Reaction score
Looking at the link above, I have a couple questions.
Where is the power for this device coming from?
How does it feed into my computer? USB?
How do I load software to run it into my computer?
If the above above are non issues, heck for $30 I will go for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Look at an internal replacement. A USB2 device will not be bootable on a G4, you need Firewire. Internal replacements are quite simple, the power comes from the cable connection.

Is the G4 867MHz or faster as that is the minimum for Leopard?

Here is a video link showing how easy this job is. Only difficult part is removing the power cables - struth they are tight:-

Tech Center at OtherWorldComputing.com

OP
D
Reaction score
proc Speed is 1.25GHZ. I have reloaded the software that came with the machine. No luck. I was then downloading some DVD player type software updates from the Apple website and left the room. When I came back the kids cartoon DVD was playing on my computer! I then restarted the machine and have not been able to play a DVD since. However the iMAC software install DVD comes up on the screen with a little DVD logo in it. Very mysterious! I don't mind doing a little surgery, but, I wonder if I jazzed up the software in my machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.