Apple remote desktop and remote access

Reaction score
Our office was told by an apple sales guy that Apple remote desktop is what we need and we needed the unlimited license

here's what we need it to do and what so far it isn't doing

We need our employees to access their work computers from home, (Be able to virtually see and control their desktops at work) we need them, in times like today when it's snowing, to have all of them access their individual computers at one time

we have a router and at one time were using timbuktu but was way too expensive for everyone so only my boss had it, it was slow and didn't always work.

apple guy tells us this is all we need, install and go

so far I've connected to my bosses computer once and never again been able too

apple support tells me that the software is only for inside networks and not designed for remote access form outside if you have a router. and if you have a router only one computer can be set up to be viewed remotely

I need help. we've wasted $500 (we are a small company of less than 10 employees) and now we can't work from home like we wanted.

if ARD is not the answer then what is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Sounds like you need a VPN box or something like that, If the Apple sales guy told you that you need ARD and your good to go, I would return it and get my money back.

I don't know of many solutions for VPN for the Mac side, wish I could help out more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
what is so important on the desktops that they need access, is it just file access they require or is it something specific to the machines in question?

OP
S
Reaction score
we have a network database and files on each individual computer that he wan'ts everyone to have access to from home. I've suggested to him designating one specific computer that will house all these files but he doesn't want that he wants them to have access to their own computers, mainly because each person has files saved specifically for their work (they are recruiters) so they have resumes and contracts that only they should see

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
A small note: I am coming at this from the darkside, or windows as MS insists we call it, so some assumptions may be off here, if it is please some one chip in and correct the bits I get wrong.

You can still have alll the files in one place: designate one machine as the "file store" and have the guys save all of their contacts on that machine, with their work logon details so each would have a user area created, which as I understand Mac networking should be secure enough to stop the other guys looking at each others stuff but also allow network access if accessed by an account with the same credentials.

At this point you issue VPN's to all of your users and they can access from home, the cost would be addional licenses for the db app unless its on a per user basis in which case you would still be covered.

Long and short everyone remotes into the site and accesses the shared database, they all have access to their files and the contact database and you cust down the cost (dependent on the licenseing side) and network traffic as you are not streaming full copies of peoples desktops arround.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.