ibook not reading dvd-r?? help plz

K

kzef

hi fellaz,

Just had a little problem today where I put a dvd-r into my ibook, and it didn't read it for some reason, and it said that it was a blank dvd-r. However it's not blank becoz i tried it on my xbox and dvd player and it worked fine. Can someone tell me what the problem is here?? can I download something to play it? or do i need to use another application that i already have apart from the default dvd player??

thanx for any help

kzef

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What's on the dvd?

A film?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Macman always suggest that you clean the CD-DVD players lens. You might try cleaning the DVD disk also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I dont always suggest that, though its a possibility, it can also be that if this is a data disc that its not formatted correctly, or if its a video dvd, someone that burned it may not have chosen the correct type of format also. Ive seen people burn vcd dvds, maybe thats what it is and your iibook wont play it natively.

OP
K

kzef

i think your right macman, becoz, i dont think need anything needs cleaning because he ibook and dvd-r are brand new. It's a film that my m8 burnt for me, so is there anything that I can download that will allow the ibook to read it?

OP
P

Phiber

o_o Enough of the AOL shorthand!

Shouldn't you still be able to 'see' the 'file' within a file browser?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try downloading mplayer or vlc and see if itll read it. or insert it and open disk utility and try to mount it.

OP
K

kzef

Macman said:
try downloading mplayer or vlc and see if itll read it. or insert it and open disk utility and try to mount it.

what do you mean by "mount" it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so it shows up on your desktop like any regular cd or dvd, or does it do that already? if it does, theres no problem, unless you mean you just cant play it.

OP
K

kzef

I'm lost now lol, what i'm trying to say is when I put it in, a window pops up saying "you inserted a blank dvd. Choose what to do from the pop-up menu". and when I open dvd player it doesn't seem to read the dvd-r, but it works fine on my dvd player and xbox. So what is the problem??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when it gives you those options, have you tried clicking initialize? thatll usually format the disc and make it appear on the desktop, but if this disc is a dvdr and not a dvdrw, it should just mount it.

OP
K

kzef

there is no option to initialize, and it isn't mounting either. any other suggestions? is there like somewhere I can go to click on the drive, like windows has m:/ drive or whatever, you know what I mean?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.