Trouble with lag in games with Windows

Reaction score
Not to long ago, maybe a week ago. I all of a sudden started noticing that games like starcraft... and geometry wars... were lagging in my boot camped version of xp.
Until a week ago, they were both running just fine along with numerous other games I've tried in the past. but for some reason, just recently, it seems like it cant handle even the simplest of games.

I defragged my hard drive, did a registry and system clean, I've checked the task manager, to see if there was anything hogging memory, nothing I could see, I've restarted, taken everything but essentials off of msconfig startup programs list, I've tried everything.

So I'm stuck now with my only guess being maybe something to do with the video card.

I haven't changed anything

so I dont know.

if anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated. thanks alot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Might want to check for Updated drivers for your Video Card. I would recommend NOT using any Microsoft provided drivers.

OP
S
Reaction score
yeah, from what I've gathered off the internet, the latest drivers only can come from Apple's site. I've done the check for new software, but nothing comes up for video drivers. I don't know where else to get boot camp drivers that work for a macbook pro

anyone out there know of a good site? or resource?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Depending on what type of video card you have, you can get the drivers from other places other than apple. Have you tried using the latest bootcamp drivers? I think it's v2.1 now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
yeah, from what I've gathered off the internet, the latest drivers only can come from Apple's site. I've done the check for new software, but nothing comes up for video drivers. I don't know where else to get boot camp drivers that work for a macbook pro

anyone out there know of a good site? or resource?

Don't look for Windows video drivers on the Apple site. Go directly to the manufacturer of your video card's site. Since you didn't identify what hardware you have, I don't know where to send you.

However, if for example you own a MBP with a nVidia card, go to the nVidia web site, look up your card\chipset, and download the latest Windows drivers for it. If you're running XP, you need XP drivers, Vista needs Vista drivers.

BTW, make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed that is required for the games you're running. Most games require DirectX, and possibly OpenGL and\or hardware acceleration.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Drivers

Thanks for your reply's. I'm going to give it a go with Nvidia's site. I have the mac book pro's video card. the 8600 gt one I believe.

nvidia has the exact one listed in their latest release of the 18th of december 2008. and this is a lot more recent than what I have. so hopefully this works.

I have in the past had the error message come up saying your hardware configuration is not supported for this driver or something to that nature, keeping me from installing other drivers I have found in the past

I'm praying this fixes it lol

OP
S
Reaction score
didn't work

I tried the latest drivers from Nvidia.

I got the blue error screen of death. it didnt stay long enough to read what it said, but I had to reboot in safe mode, reinstall the older drivers that worked, and yeah. I don't think its working any better personally.
any other ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're having no luck with the latest nVidia drivers for your card, it may be time to wipe the BC partition and start over. I'm assuming you've checked your Win partition for infections, malware, spyware, etc.?

Something is not right because in your original post you stated that the slowdowns occurred rather suddenly. That usually indicates that a change was made to the system.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.