• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Switching... sort of...

J

jerodhusvar

Well, here I am, a tech who supports MacOS, Winblows and Uni*, and I finally had the chance to buy a new computer to replace my aging Fedora laptop (P2-333/256m ram/4g hd...) I was given a budget of $1000 to buy a new machine, and I was bound and determined it was going to be a Mac. After agonizing for weeks over what to get... (Mac mini is cool, iBook is more practical for what I need... iBook costs too much... Mac mini is cool....) I started calling around to the Apple vendors trying to find the best deal... I have an education discount, so if I would have went with the mini, I would have gotten a really good deal, but anyway... So I called Mac Mall and was asking some questions about different systems and the guy finally says "What do you really want?" So I told him... A 14" iBook for less than a grand... I figured he would laugh at me... He didn't... He proceeded to tell me that they have a stock of Open Box iBooks at discount prices... He speced out a machine (iBook, 1.33/256/60/combo/Airport Extreme) and told me I could have it for $1039.99 with free ups ground shipping. Well, the debit card made such a noise coming out of my wallet that people in the next office thought a fighter jet had flown by. :) The system has 10 months left on the factory warranty, is eligble for AppleCare (which I'll buy off of eBay for $150 in a few months,) and fits my needs exactly.

So I guess that means this little linux box is gonna go to the happy hunting grounds... My mom wants to try it out to see if it'll work for her, but she's a computer neophyte and finds even Windows XP complicated, so I don't know how she'll do with a Fedora Core 3 machine... If she doesn't like it, I'll take it and sell it and buy more toys for the iBook. :)

And I've still got my wintel box for stuff that requires Windows and for games... and the iMac is still floating around, too... Although I haven't turned it on it quite a while.

Ok, enough rambling on... I'm just VERY happy to finally be getting a Mac for my own use, instead of just supporting them for other people.

jjh

OP
D

Danster

jerodhusvar said:
I'm just VERY happy to finally be getting a Mac for my own use

Welcome aboard :D

That's pretty much how everyone feels after they buy a Mac

OP
D

Desolate One

That's a great deal! My iBook is very similar and I got it "refreshed" as well for $1099. I should have gone your route! Welcome aboard! :)

OP
J

jessica

You can buy apple care off ebay for 1/2 the price? and it's legit?
oh and congrats that is a sweet deal!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.