Security Update 2008-008 Problem

Reaction score
After rebooting my laptop (Macbook Pro) with the 2008-008 update, it went into the infinite spin at startup and I (against my better judgment) shut the computer off and then restarted it. Everything booted up fine after that, but now several of my apps won't open properly while others do. This includes iCal, iTunes, and Installer from what I can see right now. Anyone know what I can do about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
First thing I'd suggest is to try doing the update again. There are several or more posts about the length of time the OS takes to get going after an update, so be patient. Go for a walk or make a cuppa. I've known my Tiger OS to take nearly 5 minutes to reboot after a combo update. Let us know how you get on.

OP
W
Reaction score
I can't. As mentioned previously, Installer is one of the affected programs. It "quits unexpectedly" whenever I open it. The same goes for iTunes and iCal. I'm not sure what other programs are also affected at this point. Other boards have said that it's an issue of verifying and repairing permissions, which I've done, but it hasn't helped. I haven't tried to repair in Safe Mode yet, though, as I don't have my install disk on hand anymore.

Edit: As far as the length of time the reboot was taking, I left my computer alone for a full half hour before deciding to shut it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try setting up a new user account with admin privileges, the new account may not be affected

Reaction score
yeah, i did this security update on my mac pro and now it's stuck in a perpetual spin on start up. It never makes it to the desktop. Don't know what to do :(, any help would be awesome. I have my install disks right here but can't even get em in the drive because the dvd tray doesn't wanna open.

Reaction score
Security update - problem --> can't start programs anymore

Hello!
I am from Austria and I have got the same problem like wittyallusion.

Yesterday I did this security update and since that I can't open some programs on my MacBook.
I tried to find any solution but I couldn't. So I ask you if you have any other solution to solve this problem.

In my case I found out that 8 programs are affected (itunes, ical, addressbook but also skype and others).

I am looking forward to your answers and your help.

thanks in advanve.

greetings from austria and I wish you nice Christmas days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
yeah, i did this security update on my mac pro and now it's stuck in a perpetual spin on start up. It never makes it to the desktop. Don't know what to do :(, any help would be awesome. I have my install disks right here but can't even get em in the drive because the dvd tray doesn't wanna open.

On your Mac Pro, can you get at the drive tray pinhole? For example, on my eMac (quite different I realise), I can open the drive door using a finger nail. and then poke a paper clip probe into the pinhole to force open the tray, even with the eMac switched off.

My thinking is this - if you can get the drive tray open, and put your Install disk in it, and then restart the computer, the hardware startup should pull the tray back in. Hopefully then the OS will try to read and, if you have the C key depressed, boot from the Install disk.

Reaction score
Same problem

I also have the same issue. I have a 2006 20" Imac and did the update but did not restart it for a day. I shut it down the next evening. I turned the computer on the next day and it locked up on start up with the spin and apple icon. I also let it go for at least 30 minutes without any change. I was able to insert the recovery CD but it would not run. I am completely lost. Any help would be appreciated. I was getting on to back up my pictures. I hope they are not lost.

Jason

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.