upgrade optical to combo drive in ibook 800?

C

chatsmere50

It is possible for a reasonably intellegent, fairly capable with tools person to install a combo drive in an 800 ibook?

Apple wants enough $$$ for this to cause me to refinance my house!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I've looked into this before. It involves a lot of little tiny screws. I believe the count is upwards of 40 or so. This was more than I wanted to mess with. Plus there really aren't any drive tray bevels made for the drives that are available, that I have seen, which means you must make your own. Too much for me again. There is info out there about doing it yourself, or you might want to ship it to MCE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Emrys said:
I've looked into this before. It involves a lot of little tiny screws. I believe the count is upwards of 40 or so. This was more than I wanted to mess with. Plus there really aren't any drive tray bevels made for the drives that are available, that I have seen, which means you must make your own. Too much for me again. There is info out there about doing it yourself, or you might want to ship it to MCE.

Hmm...that's actually interesting. I would have assumed that, as long as you had the actual Combo drive from an iBook, it would be a straight-forward swap. When my Comqrap notebook died, I removed its "combo" drive and installed it into our older Toshiba notebook. It was just a matter of a few screws and a connector, and amazingly, it worked perfectly the first time I started the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can yo buy just a combo drive from Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Emrys said:
Can yo buy just a combo drive from Apple?

Thats a good question. I just assumed that you could, judging by the way the original question was phrased. It sounded to me like the question was whether or not it was possible to do a DIY installation, so I figured there was already access to the drive itself. That's probably not the case though, and when all is said and done, I think your MCE suggestion was probably the best/most cost-effective one. I'm sure that a Combo from Apple would hardly be inexpensive, even with a DIY installation. My only other thought would be to try to sell the CD-ROM iBook and purchase a refurbished or slightly used Combo machine.

OP
C

chatsmere50

upgrade optical DIY ibook

Padawan said:
Thats a good question. I just assumed that you could, judging by the way the original question was phrased. It sounded to me like the question was whether or not it was possible to do a DIY installation, so I figured there was already access to the drive itself. That's probably not the case though, and when all is said and done, I think your MCE suggestion was probably the best/most cost-effective one. I'm sure that a Combo from Apple would hardly be inexpensive, even with a DIY installation. My only other thought would be to try to sell the CD-ROM iBook and purchase a refurbished or slightly used Combo machine.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I can buy a combo or superdrive from my Mac authorized dealer -- about 250 for the combo and nearly 400 for the superdrive. However, they also want in the neighborhood of 600 to install.
Thus, the question.

Emrys. I can't seem to find any info from MCE re: install price and I can't believe that the purchase price of the unit will cover the install. Has anyone had MCE do this and how much was it?

As for selling the ibook -- it's a company model -- I'm a school teacher -- but I want to be able to burn CD info for my students. Perhaps I should just get a good external burner and lug it around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if it isn't your machine, I definitely wouldn't put any money into it, especially with parts you can't take out when you need to give it back.

I have no idea about the prices from MCE. I just found them, and thought it was a good idea. I don't need a burner in my iBook that bad. I have one in my iMac, and 2 in my Win2K machines, so I have all the burning power I need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.